One of the biggest industries in the UK by revenue, the retail and consumer sector can be incredibly hard to navigate, especially without the expert advice and guidance of retail and consumer law solicitors. Fortunately, for companies struggling to thrive in the busy retail industry, as a retail and consumer law firm, our team can help.
To date, our consumer law solicitors team has represented industry-leading companies and market innovators across the US, UK and Europe. We represent many of the world's best-known consumer brands and retailers, operating across the sector, including food and beverage companies, hotels and restaurants, gaming operators, developers, investors, and producers.
Our retail and consumer lawyers have years of experience adapting to the needs of each individual client, serving as consumer solicitors and retail solicitors handling a range of issues from intellectual property disputes to mergers and acquisitions. In addition to these advisory goals, our consumer law solicitors also maintain excellent relationships with key industry associations.
Retail and consumer law solicitors industry expertise
Within this complex and incredibly varied sector, our retail and consumer law solicitors represent many of the world's best-known consumer brands and retailers. With UK clients including Kingfisher Group, Colgate-Palmolive, Whitbread (Premier Inn), Post Office, Specsavers and New Look, we operate as one of the leading retail law firms in the country.
As an established retail and consumer law firm, the diverse clients that we have the privilege to work alongside, both at home and abroad, has allowed us to gain industry expertise in some of the following areas:
- Complex consumer safety laws and regulations as a food and beverage law firm
- Hospitality law firm expertise within hotels and restaurants
- Consumer debt law firm specifically for gaming operators, including online platforms
- Experience working alongside developers, investors, and producers as a trusted consumer law solicitor.
Outside of these sector specific specialties, we also function as a successful consumer protection law firm, outlining complex regulations and providing advice to companies and individuals alike within the retail sector.
Retail and consumer law firm services
Having built up an impressive portfolio of current and past clients all across the retail and consumer law sector, the services provided by our food safety law firm, consumer debt law firm and consumer rights solicitors are incredibly varied.
Our talented and experienced lawyers are experienced in every aspect of their speciality so, whether you need advice from trustworthy consumer rights solicitors or looking for broader support from our solicitors, our team can be of assistance. Take a look below for just some of the advice provided and services offered by our dedicated retail and consumer law firm.
- Intellectual property and brand protection
- Marketing and advertising including social media
- Product packaging and labeling
- Corporate transactions (mergers, acquisitions, dispositions) and tax
- Commercial agreements
- Data privacy and cybersecurity
- Logistics, supply and distribution
- Employment and pensions
- Product regulation and compliance
- Patent prosecution and litigation
- Health and safety regulation and litigation
- Consumer product litigation
- Gaming and gambling regulation and compliance
- Real estate transactions.
Throughout every sector we operate in, it is our constant mission to provide legal advice and services to those who seek our help and, as diverse and complex as it is, the retail and consumer sector is no exception.
If you’re seeking legal advice from a talented group of consumer rights solicitors, a food safety law firm or anything in between, browse through our Retail and Consumer lawyers and professional staff. Alternatively, if you’d prefer to be directed to the right lawyers for you, contact the wider Womble Bond Dickinson team through our get in touch page and we’ll point you in the right direction.
What we do
- Food & Beverage
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Packaged Goods.
Examples of work
- We work with Kingfisher Group across a variety of service areas, advising on software licensing agreements with ATG and omni-channel technologies for B&Q stores to worldwide group-wide frameworks with Wincor for technology services. We also advise on most aspects of B&Q's data protection compliance including complex outsourcing, cross-border data transfers and compliance with European GDPR regulations. Much of our work with Kingfisher is exciting cutting-edge retail technology, often using the latest tech developments to enhance in-store experience
- The firm played a significant role in supporting the Post Office Limited's Network Transformation Programme – the largest project in the Post Office Limited's history. It is supported by £1.94bn funding package from Government to modernise and invest in the network. We are supporting their in-house team in developing the implementation methodology as well as generating and managing the development of all documents used in the programme
- We have acted for Decathlon since 2015 on the roll-out of their stores into the UK market: they now have 32 stores. In addition to advising on the property aspects of the store roll-out, we have advised in relation to trade mark, design, copyright and infringement matters
- Advising Accor on the licensing application for a new hotel within the shadow of Wembley Stadium, which presented its own particular challenges given the location of the premises (permission was granted without restricting the nature of the client's operations)
- Managed $250 million acquisition from a national franchisor of 194 quick-service restaurants (QSR) across the south-eastern US in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi
- Successfully defended R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a business tort case brought by 37 Missouri hospitals claiming $477 million in unreimbursed healthcare costs plus punitive damages
- Lead acquisition counsel for Adidas International in its acquisitions of Textronics, Bones in Motion, VivoMetrics and Five Ten
- Represented Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. in $1.35 billion sale to JAB Holding
- Represented regional grocery anchor with build-to-suit leases, ground leases, acquisitions and development of properties located throughout North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
"They have great personal relationships, they invest lots of time in knowing and understanding your business, and provide great legal advice in a commercial context."
"They have a genuine passion for the sector. They are innovative in finding solutions for clients."