We’ll support your real estate investment and asset management transactions with high quality, prompt, clear advice with a commercial focus.
We have a niche expertise in supporting value add funds in innovative ways that reduce costs and maximise use of our senior-level expertise in this sector. We’re known for our clarity on fees and engagement; it matters to us that we’re asking the right questions to get you the right results.
Our lawyers understand the demands facing real estate investors. We aim to facilitate deals and to add value for our clients. Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge of all issues relating to direct and indirect investment in real estate. Our clients comprise institutional investors, private and publicly quoted property companies, private equity funds, rural and urban estates, charities, local authorities and high net worth individuals.
We cover all core real estate investment services, guiding and supporting our clients in achieving their objectives. Our real estate lawyers also support a wider spectrum of real estate related services, such as joint ventures and asset management and participation agreements.
Much of our work carries a multi-disciplinary approach and we regularly work closely with specialisms across our firm in other areas, particularly finance, corporate, construction and tax.
We will structure your Womble Bond Dickinson real estate investment team to ensure that you have access to all levels of experience throughout every transaction. It’s one of the reasons investor clients, from property companies to investment funds, are turning to us ahead of the City firms.
We provide national coverage to support projects of all ranges of value and complexity. We are proud to act for leading UK real estate investment funds and their advisors, such as Rockspring, Moorfield, Addington, Tristan Capital, Savills IM and F&C Property Growth and Income Fund and commercial real estate companies like Capital Industrial. We have acted for the Church Commissioners for England's commercial property investment portfolio for 15 years.
What we do
- Direct and indirect investment
- Sales and acquisitions of real estate assets (including large portfolio transactions)
- Asset management – transactional and disputes (e.g. dilapidations)
- Leases and agreements for lease
- Development agreements
- Due diligence
- Refurbishment and redevelopment projects
- Planning environment and regulatory matters
- Construction and procurement
- Funding and property finance
- Fund structures
- Corporate and contractual joint ventures relating to real estate
- Asset management and participation agreements
- Specialist commercial agreements in real estate (e.g. website agreements, data protection, specialist employment and TUPE advice in real estate context)
Examples of work
- Acted for a private equity real estate fund on the sale of a prominent grade II listed office building in the City of London of around 240,000 sq. ft. occupied by over 100 tenants. We were involved in the original acquisition of this building and dealt with all asset management aspects of letting out the office and retail space over a six-year ownership period. On this disposal we fielded a multi-disciplinary team of real estate, corporate and banking lawyers and worked alongside our client's retained Jersey lawyers. Our involvement with this investment asset from acquisition, through an asset management phase, to a successful disposal, exemplifies our complete full service offering.
- Acted on the £50m acquisition and subsequent financing of a portfolio of fourteen multi-let light industrial estates in South Wales for a JV client. Our multi-disciplinary team handled all aspects of the real estate due diligence, transactional and banking work. Since acquisition we have set up a bespoke and rapid asset management service to facilitate the ongoing management of the properties. We are working closely with the client to understand and deliver on their investment objectives and key drivers during the current asset management phase.
- Advised a commercial real estate fund focused on the acquisition, financing, leasing and management of light industrial and studio properties in Greater London on over £200m worth of transactions in the 18-month period to April 2018, dealing with all aspects of the acquisitions including specialist property litigation and construction advice and refinancing work. Our core client service team works to tight exchange deadlines and is skilled at working through large amounts of documentation and identifying quickly the key points for the client, enabling negotiations to proceed swiftly in line with the agreed exchange timetables.
- Acted for a private equity real estate fund on its acquisition of a five storey 126,000 sq. ft. modern office building in the North East. The acquisition was from fixed charge receivers and was effected by the client through a corporate joint venture with another partner. We acted on all UK law corporate aspects of the joint venture entity including shareholder agreements and articles dealing with the respective rights of the parties for future funding, construction works, property management, veto rights, letting arrangements and exit terms.
- In 2018 we acted on the £49m acquisition of an office and restaurant investment in Soho, London for an overseas investor.
- In May 2018 we acted on the sale of five mixed use (residential, office and retail) properties for a major real estate fund client for £45m. This deal represented the final sale from of a portfolio of 160 properties originally acquired by our client in 2014. We have advised on all asset management and disposals throughout the client's four year hold period.