Life Sciences and Pharmaceuticals
Our multi-disciplinary team focuses on pharmaceutical, animal health, biotechnology, medical device, biodefense and other life sciences industry companies. Our professionals have experience at companies in the industry, as in-house counsel and scientists, as well as former patent examiners and FDA regulators.
Led by one of the industry’s most respected litigation teams, the firm counsels international, innovator pharmaceutical companies and represents them in Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) litigation and inter partes proceedings.
By understanding the scientific foundation of life sciences businesses in this specialized sector, we provide more effective and efficient analyses and advice to our clients. Our experience includes the following disciplines:
- A Litigation team, including an Intellectual Property Litigation group, with a broad range of legal and technical experience
- A Patent Procurement and Investigations team with deep technical knowledge and a broad range of legal experience
- An Intellectual Property Transactions group with extensive experience handling complex transactional issues and general client advice, regarding a wide range of corporate and commercial concerns
- A Trademarks, Database and Copyright team with far-reaching experience advising the pharmaceutical and life sciences industry regarding their intellectual property rights
- An FDA Regulatory team with inside-FDA experience and in-depth scientific knowledge of drugs, biologics, and medical devices, as well as cutting-edge biosimilars and regenerative therapies
- A Products Litigation group with decades of experience, providing a comprehensive and practical approach to advising and defending against tort cases involving pharmaceutical and life sciences products
- A Government Contracts group which regularly advises life sciences companies regarding contracts and grants with U.S. government agencies, including Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), and has counseled clients on numerous high-profile procurements under Project BioShield.
Our Case Management Facility manages case knowledge, working with our clients to build an online file cabinet of correspondence, pleadings, transcripts, exhibits, research memoranda, and other attorney work products, to serve as the foundation for project management.
The firm is a long-time sponsor of the Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group, a UK based organization of brand professionals working in the pharmaceutical space, including in-house trademark attorneys at many of the largest pharmaceutical companies.
- Joint ventures and collaborations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Mass torts litigation
- IP, technology and data
- Intellectual property disputes and litigation.
- Patents - chemical, pharma and biotech
- IP transactions.
- Successfully defended a European-based pharmaceutical company in a patent litigation under the Hatch-Waxman Act for patents covering a gastrointestinal product. The multi-region Life Sciences Litigation team successfully initiated this ANDA case and narrowed the issues to infringement. At bench trial our client won on all issues
- Represented a client in the opioid space in the procurement of multiple Orange Book listed patents protecting its products to 2031. Successfully defended a challenge in an Inter Partes Review of one of these patents where all claims were confirmed as valid
- Represented a gene-therapy company in the global licensing and commercialization of its rAAV gene therapy technology for the treatment of rare diseases including two technology spin-out transactions involving exclusive licenses to two different large, multinational pharmaceutical companies with an aggregate deal value of up to $1 billion
- Secured dismissal of a federal products liability case on behalf of a large pharmaceutical company headquartered in the UK with a significant presence in the US. The plaintiff’s complaint was over a migraine drug and its alleged side effects. After voluntary disclosure of medical records, the team was able to persuade plaintiff’s counsel that continuing litigation would not be fruitful, and the case was dismissed before extensive discovery commenced.
- Advising a UK based network drug discovery business on pre-IPO funding rounds on its initial public offering on the AIM market and on subsequent secondary fundraisings to raise funds in excess of £100 million
- Assisting through local counsel an AIM listed protein engineering company to enter the Chinese market
- Sale of UK medical software business to a NYSE listed plc and market leader in complementary analytical technologies
- Advising a leading UK based protein engineering business, on seed capital and subsequent fundraisings.