We work closely with clients in all areas of the financial institutions sector, including community, regional, national, and global commercial banks, private banks, thrifts, and credit unions, financial services providers such as investment banks, broker-dealers, and asset and wealth managers.
We also work with financial advisers, non-bank and non-traditional commercial and consumer lenders and intermediaries, including crowdfunding platforms, fintech companies, governmental bodies, insurers and insurance brokers, and fund managers (real estate, private equity).
Recent domestic and global developments have created a complex financial regulatory landscape. Now, more than ever, you need an international legal partner like Womble Bond Dickinson that is able to balance your commercial and regulatory needs.
As a team, we have extensive experience in structuring and negotiating a wide range of financial transactions, including bilateral and syndicated credit facilities, asset-based lending, equipment leasing and finance, and finance for real estate, acquisition, receivables, projects, trade and other structured finance. We regularly advise secured lenders and creditors on restructurings, workouts, bankruptcy filings, receivership appointments and foreclosures.
Comprehensive regulatory and compliance advice helps our regulated and non-regulated clients avoid costly enforcement action and legal disputes whenever possible. However, when needed, we have sector-knowledgeable dispute resolution and litigation teams that regularly represent banks, mortgage lenders, insurance companies and non-traditional lenders in all types of dispute resolution (including US federal and state litigation), regulatory enforcement actions, and governmental investigations.
Our financial services lawyers are experienced in lender liability claims, mortgage-related litigation, US state and federal consumer finance litigation and investigations, troubled portfolio litigation strategy and management, institutional trust and breach of fiduciary obligations, regulatory litigation and compliance, interest rate swaps and derivatives.
In the fintech space, our clients include entrepreneurs and technology pioneers. We work with businesses that are reshaping the financial marketplace by developing and implementing new software, hardware, platforms, financial eco-systems, and business strategies.
Drawing on all practices within the firm, we provide an array of services including:
- Real estate, commercial and corporate finance
- Regulatory and compliance
- Corporate governance
- Executive compensation
- Employee benefits
- Intellectual property
- Data protection
- Real estate acquisitions and divestitures
- Securities and reporting
- Treasury and derivatives
- Public and private capital offerings
- Employment and pensions
- M&A (and commercial agreements)
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Restructurings, workouts, bankruptcy filings, receivership appointments, and foreclosures
- Fund formation and management.
- We closed over 300 real estate finance transactions for banks, insurance companies, institutional lenders, and other investors during the past twelve months. These transactions financed the acquisition, development, and construction of a variety of projects including residential, multi-family, office, retail, industrial, and mixed use.
- Represented financial institutions in over 200 syndicated credit facilities, during the past 12 months, in which they were a co-agent or participant lender, ranging from asset-based loans to investment grade unsecured facilities. The volume and diversity of the credit facilities raise a range of complex legal issues, including cross-border issues, and provides our firm with a comprehensive view of market terms in syndicated credit facilities. Also, in response to regulatory demands and a competitive commercial loan market, many banks have been updating their procedures for documentation and approval of syndicated and other large corporate lending transactions, and our firm has assisted with such policy updates and has presented on several occasions to groups including underwriters and in-house lawyers.
- We completed equipment finance and leasing deals in the aggregate of over 5 billion dollars during the past twelve months. The individual transactions ranged from $750,000 to $350 million.
- Over the past year, we financed in excess of 100 public finance transactions that totalled 10 billion dollars
- We represent a US Government agency as lender in finance transactions that fund diverse projects in developing countries around the world, including high-quality schools in Kenya, a deluxe hotel in Liberia, affordable housing projects in Iraq, India, Central and South America, a hydropower plant in Sri Lanka, mortgage financing in Africa, East Asia and Mexico, a US Embassy in Central America, a rice mill in Indonesia, oil fields in South America, a high-tech office tower in Pakistan and the workout recovery of a Central American agricultural loan.
- We have advised on Atom Bank - the UK’s first digital only bank - on fundraisings in excess of £200M, IP protection and all aspects of its IT mobilization.
- Advised a UK government entity on structuring and formation of several funds including a £100million Life Sciences Fund and regional investment fund
- Our banking practice in the UK is underpinned by clearing bank panel appointments to the majority of the major lenders. LMA membership keeps us at the forefront of market developments and expectations.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Insurance Company Limited and others in relation to derivatives and the practical implications of the European Market Infrastructure Regulation
- Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (in administration) in connection with a claim by Merrill Lynch Credit Products LLC raising issues relating to the termination of GMRAs, the circumstances giving rise to events of default under the GMRA and the proper construction of termination notices.
"They (Womble Bond Dickinson) are not only good lawyers; they are strong business partners."
"Strong track record acting for borrowers on various banking matters, regionally and nationally. Offers expertise across a range of sectors, including property, retail, manufacturing and energy finance, particularly in relation to renewable energy. Additional capability in handling cross-border financings."