Whether operating on land, in the air, at sea or across all three, the transport sector brings with it countless opportunities for growth, as well as a vast number of challenges that must be overcome in order to thrive.
As a leading transportation law firm, Womble Bond Dickinson is perfectly positioned to provide our clients with the support they need to operate successfully on a local, national and global scale. Our transport solicitors are dedicated to expanding transportation businesses whilst tackling the common issues of this fast-paced sector, including the incorporation of emerging technology and operating in accordance with tougher regulations.
A team of specialist transport solicitors
The Womble Bond Dickinson transport solicitors team has broad industry knowledge and decades of experience working within this widespread and constantly evolving sector. With teams of lawyers specialising in everything from aviation law to marine law, as well as road transport law for land-based transportation businesses, our varied transportation law firm is fully equipped to serve all clients.
A partial list of the types of clients served by our transport law solicitors can be found below:
- One of the leading aviation law firms, well regarded for assisting in legal matters on behalf of public and private passenger service providers
- Our marine law solicitors are experienced serving ship freight operator business, providing insight into marine law and coordinating with the aviation solicitor team for businesses with dual air and sea operations
- Clients who provide or manage travel infrastructure, including rail networks, ports and airports can access the support of our transport solicitors
- Government bodies and members of the supply chain, such as those responsible for the manufacturing and maintenance of trains, aircrafts or ships, are also supported by our transportation law firm.
Transportation law services
The in-depth and varied sector experience of our transportation law solicitors allows us to deliver proactive legal advice to clients from all corners of the travel sector. With our support in place, our clients are able to focus on getting people, cargo and everything in between where they need to go quickly and efficiently.
Wondering exactly how our transport solicitors can help your company thrive? Womble Bond Dickinson makes every effort to tailor our services to suit your exact needs, creating a strategy from our transport law services that will best tackle the challenges faced by you. View a condensed list of these services below:
- Creatively and efficiently solve problems as they arise whilst simultaneously putting measures in place to reduce the likelihood of similar issues rising in the future
- Simplify and explain complex legal matters and respond with clear advice
- Aid with the expansion of companies from national to international scales
- Offer full-service legal practice by supporting clients on major infrastructure investment, devolution, alliancing and smart ticketing
- Standing by clients commercial litigation or restructuring.
To access the services of our dedicated transportation law firm, browse through our transport lawyers and professional staff or contact us directly through our get in touch page and we’ll connect you to the transport solicitor best suited to help your business.
What we do
Some of our services include:
- Rail franchising and concession arrangements
- Major infrastructure and development projects
- Rolling stock procurement, leasing and maintenance
- Public finance and bond issuance (tax exempt and taxable)
- Compulsory purchase, including development consent orders and compensation
- Asset purchases
- Charter parties, intermodal transportation contracts and supply chain agreements
- Emergency response and representation regarding claims arising from transportation casualties, including shipboard, pierside, and over-the-road personal injuries and death, pollution incidents, collisions, and cargo loss
- Jones Act and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulatory compliance
- Marine finance transactions
- Maritime and trucking products liability and warranty dispute resolution
- White collar criminal representation and counsel associated with internal investigations, enforcement actions, grand jury subpoenas and governmental investigations
- Advising clients regarding first-party cargo insurance
- Advising clients on public private partnerships
- Facilitating Letter of Credit transactions in international sale of goods, and advising clients with respect to form of documents
- Managing big data, smart technology, contactless payments, e-commerce and driverless cars, smart grids, mobile ticketing, e-medical devices and networking
- Dispute resolution
Examples of work
- We have completed equipment finance and leasing deals in the aggregate of over 5 billion dollars with individual transactions ranging from $750,000 to $350 million. Many of these transactions helped to finance transportation assets such as aircraft (corporate and commercial) and rail equipment, as well as locomotives and vessels (barges and tankers)
- We regularly advise on both heavy and light rail franchising and concession arrangements.
- Recent examples of our involvement include advising Govia on its bids for the Northern and the West Midlands franchises, and advising Transdev on its bid to operate the Manchester Metrolink. We also advised Govia on its successful bid for the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise – the UK's biggest rail franchise – which involved advising on the bid strategy, the franchise agreement and all rolling stock arrangements
- We handle casualty and litigation matters arising in ports throughout the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. We have an on-call Emergency Response Team available 24/7 to respond to and investigate casualties and incidents of all types, including collisions, shipboard and dockside personal injuries, cargo damage, pollution and HAZMAT discharges, alleged safety violations, expanded Port State Control inspections, and other shipboard emergencies
- We have vast experience advising on all aspects of rolling stock, including procurement. Recent examples include the simultaneous procurement and financing of two new fleets (to be built by Bombardier and Stadler) for Abellio's successful East Anglia franchise bid. The Abellio East Anglia order represents collectively the largest privately-led rolling stock procurement ever seen in the UK. The trains themselves are worth over £1.5bn and, with the associated maintenance arrangements, the total contract value is in excess of £1.8bn
- We provide litigation services to the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority related to Phase 2 of the Dulles Metrorail Project. It is one of the largest public transportation construction projects taking place in the United States right now
- We supported Bristol Airport on planning applications and infrastructure agreements, strategic advice on expansion plans including advice on surface access issues, the night noise quota system, ecological issues, air quality, compulsory acquisition, property and CAA regulation
- We acted for Arriva in its successful abuse of dominance claim against Luton Airport, challenging the award by Luton Airport of an exclusive coach concession to a rival operator (Arriva The Shires Ltd v London Luton Airport Operations Ltd  EWHC 64 (Ch)).
- We serve as General Counsel to an international airport and have provided representation for almost 10 years. Our engagements include a wide range of issues affecting the general aviation business. These issues require us to deal with regulations, directives and documents issued and promulgated by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Department of Transportation
- We represent regional airports as bond counsel providing legal services in connection with financings. These representations have resulted in over $1 Billion in refinancing
- We provide legal counsel to one of the largest rental car companies in the US.
“They have a really thorough understanding of our business and core values. They understand the way we do business, they really feel like part of the team. They invest in knowing us well.”
“They provide stellar support and are excellent in dealing with very complex matters.”
“They are excellent lawyers and a joy to work with.”