As one of the UK’s leading insurance law firms, we occupy a substantial presence in the London insurance and reinsurance markets, as well as the wider UK and have the capacity to operate on a transatlantic scale. With offices based throughout the UK and the US, our team is perfectly situated to serve as a trusted counsel within all key areas of the insurance sector.
Insurance solicitors specialities
Having served for decades as a trusted insurance law firm, we have a wealth of experience working with clients of every size to settle litigation, transactional and regulatory matters within the busy insurance sector.
Our clients hail from every corner of the insurance sector and have both corporate and commercial backgrounds, giving our insurance lawyers access to, and experience in the full breadth of disciplines. Serving as everything from insurance broker solicitors to an environmental insurance law firm, our team of insurance solicitors work within a large range of specialties.
We can competently deliver specialised advice and provide tailored services to all of our clients, many of whom are leading insurers and reinsurers as well as captives, brokers, MGAs, Lloyd's syndicates and those involved in the distribution of insurance products. This wide client base has allowed our insurance solicitors to amass invaluable experience in the following specialities:
- Real estate investment
- Employment and pensions insurance
- Cyber insurance and data protection
- Environmental insurance.
Insurance law firm services
From achieving litigation resolutions to assisting with funds and asset management, our team of insurance solicitors utilise their sector-specific knowledge to provide trustworthy and fully informed services to all clients. This helps clients from every specialism of the insurance sector to navigate the complexities facing them to protect their business and succeed in a changing legal environment.
Whether you require legal services specific to the insurance sector or are simply looking for wider advice for your company, as an insurance law firm, we can assist you. To get the help you need, read through our list of services below or contact us directly and we’ll help you identify the specific legal demands of your company.
- Funds and asset management
- Resolving disputes relating to insurance, reinsurance, liability and coverage
- Assisting with mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and restructurings
- Advising on regulatory risk and compliance measures (including FCA, PRA and Lloyd’s market regulation)
- Professional risk, directors & officers and financial institutions to casualty risk (including employer’s liability, public liability and catastrophic injury), property risk and cyber risk
- Ensuring compliance with solvency capital requirements
- Guidance on Treasury and derivatives
- Insurance and reinsurance group authorisation
- Advising on policy coverage issues.
In addition to these base services, all of which are handled with the utmost care and attention from our dedicated team of insurance solicitors, as an insurance law firm we also offer a dedicated subrogated claims recovery service. This specialised service allows our insurance lawyers to provide a tailored approach to all claims cases, including more niche insurance practices such as those within fine art cases.
Our corporate and commercial insurance team is highly regarded, with many of our lawyers referenced in the leading legal directories. To browse through our dedicated team of insurance lawyers and professional staff, click here. Alternatively, contact the wider Womble Bond Dickinson team through our get in touch page and we’ll put you in touch with the relevant team member to help you.
What we do
- Commercial contracts
- Commercial insurance
- Contracts, policies and procedures
- Coverage disputes
- D&O claims
- Employee benefits
- Employment disputes
- Pensions and ERISA litigation
- Appellate litigation
- Casualty risks disputes
- Class action litigation
- Commercial disputes
- Construction and engineering litigation
- Fiduciary litigation
- Financial lines claims
- International arbitration
- Pharmaceutical and medical device litigation
- Products litigation
- Professional risks disputes
- Property disputes
- Property risks disputes
- Securities litigation
- Financial services
- Regulatory compliance
- Cyber, data and privacy.
Examples of work
- Defended a major insurer in a month-long London Arbitration
- Represented US insurance company in defeating class certification based upon dual rate premiums and alleged violations of Sections 1981 and 1982
- Represented Nationwide Insurance in defending putative class action claims challenging its insurance practices
- Served as counsel for Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company, Investors Life Insurance Company of North America, and Americo Life, Inc. in annuity-based purported class action, obtaining complete dismissal. Plaintiffs have appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Represented a US life insurance company in connection with construction/permanent loan facility for a mixed-use apartment/commercial project in Washington, D.C
- Represented a US life insurance company as a joint venture partner in connection with the sale of a commercial real estate project in the District of Columbia
- Represented a national life insurance company in connection with a permanent loan for a multi-tenant, GSA-Leased office project in Virginia
- Defended a US insurance company on claims relating to the funding of a defined benefit plan, including fraud, conversion, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, reformation and punitive damages
- Defended numerous insurers and ERISA Plans in benefit litigation in district court and appellate proceedings in the 5th, 6th and 11th Circuits
- Successfully arbitrated a significant dispute between an insurance company and a broker over commissions alleged to be due for the sale of corporate owned life insurance (COLI)
- Led the team defending Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company in a multi-million dollar bad faith case. This insurance company denied a claim for damage to a restaurant caused by a fire because it believed one of the owners set the fire. Arson is very difficult to prove, but our team secured a successful outcome for the client
- Defended a 65,000-employee US insurance and financial services company against multiple discrimination and other employment lawsuits in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, and Maryland State Court
- Advising AIG in relation to its Crowdfunding Fidelity insurance policy, a policy to protect investors on equity crowdfunding platforms against fraud
- Advising Lloyd's (re)insurer Sompo Canopius on the sale of the majority of its retail or direct-to-consumer business to UK insurance broker A-Plan
- Assisting a UK Bank in relation to the insurance investment-related arrangements to assist account-holders that were unable to repay their interest-only mortgages
- A UK insurance company on structure and governance issues following the coming into force of the Solvency II insurance regulatory regime on 1 January 2016
- Working with a multi-national insurance group in relation to the review of a suite of policies to ensure that the policy wordings would be compliant with the requirements of the US Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare")
- Defending a professional negligence claim against a prominent firm of surveyors by a property trust and property investment funds, relating to the alleged mismanagement of a large portfolio of commercial properties
- Coverage advice to insurers relating to a number of professionals involved in the promotion of and/or advice on Enterprise Zone schemes, film finance schemes and other tax mitigation schemes
- Coverage dispute involving a law firm, acting on behalf of hundreds of investors who made failed investments in a property investment club
- Representing the joint interests of an insurer and its insured policyholder, one of the largest IFA networks in the UK, facing complaints regarding investment advice received from one of its advisers
- Advising Insurers on policy coverage in respect of a claim against their insured in respect of building and construction defects on iconic structures.
‘This is a first-rate practice. Meticulous, calm and measured approach from the whole team and excellent value for money.’