A diverse and inclusive workplace, full of the richness of different perspectives, creates better ways of working.
Our clients and colleagues benefit from a more rounded, informed culture, making us a more resilient and sustainable business.
Our approach is to make sure that we have policies which are fit for purpose, and then to concentrate hard on bringing them to life throughout the firm. This filters through at every level – we nurture a spirit of equality, fairness and respect and we challenge non-inclusive behaviour. We want everyone to reach their full potential, by being themselves whilst encouraging each other to achieve their goals with courage, determination and enthusiasm.
We work hard to ensure that difference is visibly valued and welcomed, and that our people understand there is so much to diversity and inclusion and it's not about a set of paper policies. Everything from our award-winning apprenticeship scheme, our Investors in People Accreditation, our focus on mental health and disability, to our #BeYourself campaign, underlines the importance of a visibly proactive and diverse and inclusive culture.
“Thanks to #CountMeIn, we can monitor progression and promotions across various groups, and make sure the right people are getting the right support and development opportunities.”
By working together on a variety of activities, campaigns and initiatives both internally and externally, we have:
- Maintained our Silver Standard Investors in People
- Awarded Gold Status for the Law Society Diversity & Inclusion Charter
- Awarded Women in Law Empowerment Forum UK 2021 Gold Standard
- Won the Legal Cheek Award for Best Work/Life Balance, Spring 2021
- Became Mindful Business Charter signatories
- Made our Social Mobility Pledge
- Maintained our DWP Disability Confident Employer status
- Created our Family Network – support for working parents
- Ran wellbeing webinars in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Launched #CountMeIn diversity questionnaire, our self-declaration survey to better inform our equality, diversity and inclusion strategies
- Launched gender neutral drafting policy
- Began offering a 24/7 flexible online library for our people to access wellbeing and resilience training.
Diversity requires inclusivity – different types of people need to be involved in our decision-making and to feel safe to share views and contribute. Our diversity and inclusion group strives to provide a voice for all. Through our BAME (WBD REACH) and LGBTQ+ (WBD Pride) networks, there's a safe and connected environment for our people and allies to share their experiences, which is highlighted in our diversity and inclusion report.
Wellbeing is of the utmost importance at the firm. We’re working hard to destigmatise mental health by opening up conversations and encouraging each other to put wellbeing first. From our team of mental health first aiders to the firm providing wellbeing days, we ensure our people come first.