Highly-regulated, fast-paced and competitive, businesses operating in the commercial space will face countless challenges in their pursuit of success. If you require the expertise of a commercial solicitor or an international commercial lawyer to navigate your business’s obligations in commercial law, Womble Bond Dickinson can help.
As one of the leading commercial law firms in the UK and US, Womble Bond Dickinson’s team of commercial solicitors can help you thrive by removing regulatory barriers, completing business-critical transactions and preparing a full range of commercial contracts. For businesses selling across the globe, we also offer international commercial law services, helping to increase the efficiency, and thereby profit, of internationally delivered products and services.
Spanning across more than just borders, the current clients of our commercial law firm conduct business across a wide range of sectors. From retail to manufacturing and energy to transport, our clients face challenges unique to both their industry and their place in it. In recognition of this, each client is partnered with a commercial lawyer, or team of commercial solicitors, that holds in-depth industry knowledge, allowing them to anticipate, tackle and overcome any industry-specific legal issues clients may face.
At Womble Bond Dickinson, our commercial lawyers provide a tailored commercial law service to guide you through the legal intricacies of your industry and assist with day-to-day regulatory administration. This means that, whether you’re a start-up company operating in a single sector or a high-profile business working across industries, partnering with our commercial law firm gives you the support you need to reach and surpass your business goals.
If you’re ready to build a partnership with our team of commercial law solicitors, or need a commercial litigation lawyer for short-term legal advice, contact us today. If you'd like to familiarise yourself with the team before your meeting, or would like to arrange an informal chat about the services provided by our commercial law firm, you can also browse our commercial lawyers and professional staff online.
What we do
From negotiating and drafting vital commercial agreements to providing practical legal and market-oriented advice, our commercial solicitors provide clients with a tailored selection of the following services:
- Managing outsourcing, logistics and supply chain management within commercial law regulations, and international commercial law where applicable, to streamline business processes
- Fine-tuning structures for the procurement and supply of goods and services across sectors, including the public sector
- Providing legal advice across a range of commercial business structures, including facilities and asset management, agency and distribution
- Aiding with managed and shared services
- Providing guidance on manufacturing
- Drafting contracts surrounding commercial partnerships, collaborations and strategic alliances
- Advising on research and development to further grow the business
- Ensuring adherence to competition and antitrust laws in any given commercial space
- Aiding with projects and public-private partnerships
- Overseeing franchising and concessions
- Ensuring regulations surrounding anti-bribery and corruption are followed
- Distribution of hardware, software and services, including reseller arrangements
- Advising on how to fulfil escrow arrangements
- Fund formation and management.
Examples of work
As a commercial law firm, Womble Bond Dickinson have worked with, and continue to work alongside, a wide range of clients from all over the world. Our clients include commercial trading companies, traditional commercial businesses and online sellers of products and services. See some examples of the work our commercial solicitors have completed below:
- Advising Post Office Ltd on the Network Transformation Programme, a £1.94bn project to modernise and invest in the Post Office network, including moving 8,000 of the 11,500 branches in the network on to new operating model contracts. The commercial lawyers in our team have a significant role in supporting the in-house team in developing the implementation methodology, as well as generating and managing the development of all documents used in the programme, including the new model contracts
- Our team of commercial lawyers was engaged to provide a replacement for the in-house legal team following the sale of Innovia by UCB. Our team advised in relation to the establishment of a new business to complement the two core businesses which manufacture speciality films (Innovia Films) and supply the Guardian substrate used for polymer banknotes (Innovia Security), and a full suite of contracts to govern the manufacture, distribution and sale of the new devices to be marketed
- Since June 2014 (when Lloyds divested a significant share of its ownership in TSB) we have been the predominant external supplier of commercial legal services to TSB. During this time we have provided three secondees to the bank as well as advised on a large number and variety of commercial arrangements
- Represented manufacturer and marketer of branded basic apparel products in development, license and sales agreements with international distributors in the UAE, Russia, Nigeria, France, Germany, and Mexico, among others, with national retailers and with online marketplaces
- Represented manufacturer of outdoor power tools in procuring custom manufacturing equipment from multiple suppliers for installation and operation of new manufacturing lines in the US and Northern Europe
- Represented a multinational specialty chemical company in structuring and negotiating a $75 million contract-manufacturing and license agreement to provide additional manufacturing capacity and improved supply chain capabilities to the client’s existing manufacturing facilities
- Advised a large German technology manufacturer in the development and licensing of key information security technologies underlying mobile payment systems for telecoms and major mobile device manufacturers
- Represented global energy services company in its voluntary disclosure to the Office of Foreign Assets Control of possible violations of the Iran sanctions, and prepared comprehensive internal compliance program as part of follow-on corrective action
- Advised US importer of automotive accessories concerning penalty action by US Customs and Border Patrol relating to alleged failure to pay antidumping duties, and related scope proceeding by the US Department of Commerce to determine applicability of the antidumping duties
- Undertaking a major review of the agency, distribution and sales contracts for a manufacturer of industrial infrastructure, and recommending extensive changes to its global routes to market process
- Advising a multi-national film manufacturer on implementing new agency contracts with 40–50 agents across the world, coordinating local law input where required.
‘Very strong commercial and regulatory practice.’
“They have an excellent mix of individuals who provide excellent support.”