James’ expertise extends to all aspects of intellectual property including patents, trade marks, copyright, designs, passing off, database rights and confidential information.
He has top level experience, spanning more than 30 years, of the protection, exploitation, challenge and enforcement of intellectual property including disputes in the Supreme Court. Work examples include patent litigation, cybersquatting, intellectual asset management, anti-counterfeiting, brand enforcement, licensing, commercial contracts and franchising, mediation, IT and software issues, and search and seize orders (including as supervising solicitor). Assisted by a Cambridge University science degree, James is also a solicitor- advocate, giving him full rights of audience in the higher courts.
With wide-ranging international experience, James is a regular speaker at international conferences. Engagements have included at events organised by the Department of International Trade (DIT), China Britain Business Council (CBBC), International Trademark Association (INTA), Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) and Barcelona Bar Association (ICAB).
Committee roles include 10 years sitting on the prestigious Law Society Intellectual Property Law Committee which promotes and lobbies for improvements in intellectual property law nationally and internationally, on the Law Society International Committee and on the advisory panel of the Leeds City Region China Business Club.
Examples of experience include advising:
- TomTom, providing advice in connection with patents, other intellectual property, and related contractual matters and transactions, concerning high tech
- Tetra Pak, assisting their inhouse trade mark team in relation to trade mark matters, including enforcement, registration and opposition
- Rightmove Group, handling enforcement actions for passing off and infringement of registered trade marks and copyright
- Nostrum Group, advising on and negotiating fintech commercial software contracts and licences
- Vygon, advising on the intellectual property protection of medical devices, including disputes in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and licensing arrangements
- Alexander Duckham & Co, providing strategic advice in relation to the protection of the famous DUCKHAMS oil brand, and handling a large international trade mark portfolio
- Screen Repair Services, conducting an oil industry patent infringement action through the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, the leading case on right to repair patented articles.