John is a partner in the firm's finance group. He advises both borrowers and lenders across a number of sectors. Lender clients include high-street banks and specialist debt funds. Borrower clients include private-equity backed business, owner-managed businesses and public limited companies.
John's practice includes advising on the origination of loans, the sale of loans and securities, and the restructuring of existing facilities, spanning property finance, corporate debt structures and invoice finance facilities. John also provides advice in relation to security and guarantee arrangements to secure deferred consideration on corporate transactions, and has advised on security and escrow arrangements to secure pension liabilities. He has also advised educational establishments and the providers of finance to educational establishments (including schools, universities and further education colleges).
Examples of experience include advising:
- A Bank in connection with term loan facilities to a hotel group and providing facilities to fund the acquisition of a hotel and the refurbishment of other hotels
- A Bank in connection with the senior and mezzanine refinance of a commercial and retail building in Leeds
- A US-owned manufacturer with its off-balance sheet financing of receivables
- A UK care home group with the negotiation of the buy-back of its debt
- A UK food manufacturer in connection with new invoice discounting and asset finance facilities
- A UK property development business in connection with development funding for a shopping centre in East Yorkshire
- The Department for Education in connection with the funding of new schools and the merger of further education colleges
- Pension Trustees in connection with security and escrow arrangements in relation to the employer's contribution liabilities
- A private equity sponsored manufacturing business in connection with acquisition and working capital facilities.
In the Chambers 2015 Guide, John is ranked as a Band 1 individual and described as “commercial” and ”extremely helpful”. He is recognised for his abilities to assess problems and provide:
“a scope of solutions. If there's a contentious point in a particular transaction, he will give us the optimum resolution for our organisation.”
Winner: Legal 500 Finance Award (Regional) (2015).