Richard specialises in high-value commercial litigation. He has experience of a broad range of commercial and contentious matters including disputes arising out of complex financial products, pensions disputes, professional negligence matters, shareholder disputes and substantial multi-jurisdictional contractual claims. He also leads the firm’s contentious procurement team.
Richard has a particular focus on the transport, financial services and public sectors.
- Acting for Bombardier Transportation in public procurement challenges to the outcomes of tender processes
- Acting for Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council in its successful defence of a public procurement challenge relating to the award of a £500m development agreement (AEW Europe LLP and others v Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council  EWHC 2050 (TCC)
- acting for the administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) on a number of claims by and against the insolvent estate, relating to complex financial products (including financing transactions and derivative products)
- acting for West Berkshire Council in its successful defence of a judicial review and public procurement challenge relating to the award of a £125m development agreement (Faraday Development Limited v West Berkshire Council  EWHC 2166) and then again in the Court of Appeal
- acting for Citibank in connection with disputes relating to investor services
- advising Arriva in its successful challenge to the award by London Luton Airport of an exclusive coach concession to National Express (Arriva The Shires Ltd v London Luton Airport Operations Ltd  EWHC 64 (Ch))
- acting for IBM in its long-running litigation relating to ceasing defined benefit accrual and the employer's duty of good faith culminating in recent success in the Court of Appeal (IBM United Kingdom Holdings Limited and another v Dalgleish and others  EWCA Civ 1212).
"bright and commercial in outlook"
“...an outstanding performer."
“confident, calm and effective.”
"Richard has continued to impress as a strong all-rounder"
"a very bright, incisive and clear-thinking individual"