Sushma MacGeoch is Head of Insurance Disputes at Womble Bond Dickinson, leading the national team based in London, Bristol and Southampton. The team has operated in the London Insurance Market for over 45 years and specialises in professional indemnity, management liability, cyber, property, casualty and other insurance risks.
Sushma has over 25 years’ experience as a professional indemnity and construction specialist.
She is an expert in the defence of complex high value claims against solicitors, valuers, accountants, brokers and construction professionals, to include architects engineers and contractors.
Sushma also regularly acts as coverage counsel. Her clients include major London Market Insurers and construction companies.
Sushma was shortlisted for Women in Finance Insurance Leader of the Year Award 2019. The team is praised by Legal 500 as having ‘unrivalled market expertise…. A tough litigation practice that never loses sight of the client’s strategic and commercial aims’, ‘Highly regarded team. Excellent knowledge of the industry. Very approachable.’
Under Sushma's leadership, the Womble Bond Dickinson Insurance Disputes team has won a number of accolades to include Insurance Team of the Year 2017 Legal Business Awards; Shortlisted for Insurance Firm of the Year 2017 Post Claims Awards; Highly Commended in FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Europe 2017 for Private Edge Product developed with AIG; Winner of Commercial Insurance Law Firm of the Year UK – 2018 Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards; Legal 500 award for Insurance Firm (Specialism) of the Year for our expertise in professional negligence in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Examples of experience include advising:
- solicitors in £130m claim arising from credit hire litigation handled on behalf of Insurers
- accountants in £15m film finance litigation
- a groundworks contractor in a multiparty £12m claim arising from the failure of the floor slab in a warehouse distribution centre resulting in the landmark decision in Co-Op Group Limited v Birse Developments Limited and others on limitation in claims against construction professionals
- architects on a £40m claim arising from the failure of a commercial complex
- as coverage counsel on a block notification by brokers with a potential claim value exceeding £80m.
"...very talented lawyer who knows the market back to front. Intelligent, dynamic and with an excellent reputation."
"...calm but tough, Sushma is a stand-out practitioner in the professional negligence market."
"...has enormous courage and steely determination which is matched with poise and finesse."
"...an exceptional professional; her knowledge, style, resilience and personality are what set her aside and ensure she is the leader of this impressive and growing team."