Our people set apart our infrastructure sub sector.
Our top tier (Band1 Chambers and Partners and Tier 1 in Legal 500) experts have extensive knowledge and experience advising on infrastructure schemes, from airport and port developments, to road and rail transport projects.
We consider that we have one of the UK's leading Rail Projects & Infrastructure practice and one of the largest Planning & Infrastructure teams nationally.
We have particular expertise in infrastructure projects (including rail and road schemes) and recognise that project management skills are essential for their successful completion. We have already worked through many of the issues you will face and that knowledge means that we can respond to your queries quickly.
Key projects that have kept us busy are:
- Advising Highways England on Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects across the UK including the A428 Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet Road Improvement scheme DCO, the A47 Bloefield to North Burlingham DCO, the A47 North Tuddenham to Easton DCO and the A47 Wansford to Sutton DCO
- Advising North Somerset Council and the West of England Combined Authority on Metrowest Phase 1 which is a £116m project for the restoration of a passenger rail service between Portishead and Bristol
- Advising Bristol Airport on planning applications and infrastructure agreements, strategic advice on expansion plans including advice on a major planning application to increase the passenger cap from 10 million to 12 million passengers per annum requiring a terminal extension together with various airside and landside developments and changes to surface access and parking areas. Advising on the night noise quota system, ecological issues, air quality, compulsory acquisition, property and CAA regulation
- Advising Leeds Bradford Airport on a capital infrastructure scheme including terminal extension and car parking developments
- Advising Govia Thameslink Railway on the development of new stabling facilities at Cambridge Depot
- Advising Southeastern on the development works at Chart Leacon Depot
- Advising Govia Thameslink Railway on financing and construction aspects of works to the depot at Bedford Cauldwell.
Sources say: "They fight hard for the customer but also look to find solutions for the deal."
Another client remarks: "They don't feel like lawyers, they feel like a part of our team. I really like that if you ask them a question, you get an answer instead of hedging."
David Rewcastle stands out for "his sheer breadth of knowledge and expertise" in the rail field, ranging from infrastructure projects and rolling stock transactions to franchise bids. Clients value that "he doesn't just look at things from a legal angle, but from a commercial side too."
Kevin Gibbs advises local authorities and private clients on planning issues faced by developments in the residential and transport spheres. "He provides good practical solutions to deal with legal complexities," according to a client.
Richard Guyatt is a respected lawyer who possesses considerable knowledge of issues surrounding compulsory purchase and development consent orders. "He brings a lot of detailed knowledge and standing to projects, which is invaluable," a source says.