David is a partner and head of the firm’s transport and infrastructure sector; this comprises rail, bus, ports and smart cities.
David has a particular interest in the rail sector. He advises on a full range of rail related contracts and regulatory issues. In particular, he specialises in passenger rail franchise bids, Railways Act transfer schemes, rolling stock procurement and leasing, rail infrastructure projects and regulatory work. He regularly contributes to Rail Connect.
Following outstanding client feedback David was named as a star lawyer in the ‘Acritas Stars’ global database for 2018.
Recent examples of experience include advising:
- Southeastern in relation to the award of the original franchise and subsequent direct award franchise agreements, including the direct award entered into in March 2020
- Southeastern and Govia Thameslink Railway on the emergency measures/emergency measures recovery agreements entered into as a result of the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Govia Thameslink Railway in respect of the major disruption to passenger services following the introduction of the new timetable in May 2018
- London Midland on the handover of the West Midlands franchise
- Govia on its bids for the South Eastern, West Midlands and Northern franchises
- Govia on the successful rail franchise bids for TSGN, Southeastern, Southern and London Midland and the subsequent mobilisation for these franchises including the transfer schemes, asset transfers, station/depot/rolling stock leasing, licensing, TUPE transfer, pensions and other aspects of mobilisation
- Govia Thameslink Railway on a deal worth over £200 million to purchase and lease Class 717 vehicles for the Moorgate line
- Southern on a deal worth over £300 million in respect of 108 Bombardier Class 387 vehicles for Gatwick Express services and the financing of a further 116 Class 387 vehicles
“Clients say that David Rewcastle "cares as much about the outcome as we do; he wants to get the best he can for our business." His recent work includes advising Southeastern Railway on its direct award franchise agreement with the Department for Transport”
"David Rewcastle is praised by clients as "a towering intellect with a measured and calm approach, even in the most trying circumstances." He has expertise in rolling stock and franchising matters, and is praised by sources as "a clear expert in this area
“[The firm’s] ‘highly regarded’ team advised Govia on its successful bid for the Thameslink Southern and Great Northern Franchise (TSGN), and advised on the related rolling stock arrangements. It acted for Southern Railway and Govia Thameslink Railway on an order of 108 carriages for Gatwick Express, and the financing of a further 116 carriages. Department head David Rewcastle is ‘outstanding’…”