Jo specialises in advising charities and those who work with charities on all aspects of charity law and governance.
Whether establishing new charitable organisations for philanthropists, or advising national household name charities on new projects or ventures, Jo delivers the project efficiently and in a straightforward manner.
Jo advises across the range of charitable activity and has particular experience in advising religious bodies on restructuring and managing complex trust arrangements.
Her experience in managing charity mergers includes acting on the merger that formed Cancer Research UK, the four national Age UK charities and more recently the merger of St Mungo’s Broadway.
With the Charity Commission becoming a more active regulator, Jo has advised numerous charities who face questions from the Commission or who are subject to a section 46 Inquiry.
Jo is a member of the Executive Committee of the Charity Law Association and Chaired the working party on the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Act and gave evidence to the Joint Scrutiny Committee in the House of Lords. Jo lectures on issues of charity law and writes regularly for the sector press. She also serves as a school governor.
Jo gave the opening address at last year’s Charity Law Association conference and regularly lectures and writes on matters of charity law and governance.
Examples of experience include advising:
- A national children’s cancer charity on the takeover of legacy funding from an organisation with a complicated history
- A national children’s charity on the receipt of funds following a charity insolvency
- A major religious institution on the creation of a temporary project to house Syrian Refugees in a recently closed nursing home and convent in conjunction with the local Diocese
- A medical royal college on amendments to the Code of Conduct and disciplinary procedures
- A local older people’s charity on a five way joint venture to allow it to bid in partnership for local authority contracts.
"She combines an encyclopaedic knowledge of charity law with a thoroughly pragmatic approach"
“She understands our needs and sensitivities extremely well”
“Very good to talk to”
"Aptitude for advising on complex mergers involving charities"
"Painstaking in the work she does"
"Maintains a stellar reputation for her ‘sound and practical’ charity law advice"
"Level headed and practical"