Robert is a partner in our Newcastle corporate finance team with over 25 years’ experience of advising clients on regional, national and international private and public company mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, private equity investments, corporate governance and strategy.
In over 20 years working in the North East corporate marketplace as part of an award winning regional firm, Robert has advised on some of the most significant transactions in the region and worked with some of the region’s best known entrepreneurs. Robert’s specialisation is working with owner-managers, shareholders and corporates around strategic direction and maximising value when exiting their companies and also on the other side of those transactions, acting for corporates acquiring new businesses and companies as part of growth strategies.
Robert has been named Insider’s North-East corporate lawyer of the year on three separate occasions – and worked on 5 of the awards’ ceremony “Deal of the Year” in the North East Region.
Following outstanding client feedback Robert was named as a star lawyer in the ‘Acritas Stars’ global database 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Robert is one of the leads in our Manufacturing Sector Team. Much of Robert's experience in the M&A and advising arena has been with manufacturing sector companies – so in addition to deep M&A corporate experience Robert has an insight into the specific challenges and issues advising in the manufacturing sector. Robert has lead on manufacturing sector trade visits to and from the USA with North East based manufacturing sector businesses.
Examples of experience include advising:
- RIBA on its £35 million sale of an interest in NBS to LDC
- Tekmar plc on its £65 million AIM IPO
- AVX Corporation on its £118,000,000 purchase of the transport and security division of TT Electronics plc
- Winn Solicitors Limited on its £40 million private equity investment by JZI Partners and Souter Investments
- Advising British Engines Limited on its acquisition from Rolls Royce plc of its North East based Michell Bearings
- Advising Quantum Pharma plc on its £106m AIM IPO
- Advising Quantum Pharma on the acquisitions of Lamda Pharma and NuPharm Group
- Advising on the sale by SNK and shareholders of CAV Aerospace to Better Capital
- Advising the shareholders of Seaward Holding Limited on its acquisition by German multi-national Metrawatt
- Advising RPM Inc on its strategic acquisitions of Morrells and Firefirm Limited
- Advising KAEFER GmbH on its acquisition of Opus Industrial Services Limited
- Advising the shareholders of C&D Industrial Services Limited on its disposal to KAEFER GmbH
- Advising Vertu plc on its acquisition of Bristol Street Motors Limited
"Just a very practical, commercial lawyer. Technical competence."