Richard Cockburn is a partner in our energy and natural resources group. He is dual-qualified in Scotland and England & Wales. He has practised in the City of London, Brussels and Scotland, and usually splits his time to work from Edinburgh, London and Aberdeen.
Richard has worked with developers and contractors in the renewable energy sector on projects ranging from onshore and offshore windfarms to renewable heat, solar, wave, tidal and other projects. His significant oil and gas experience spans the spectrum of industry activity from upstream across to the supply chain. He spent time on secondment at Marathon Oil and his track record includes experience of carbon capture and storage projects in the North Sea.
In addition to being an energy and natural resources lawyer and a commercial lawyer, Richard has many years of experience in competition law, state aid and public procurement.
Indicative examples of UK and international experience:
- A major energy multinational on its participation in the UK Round 4 offshore wind process
- A major European utility on the ScotWind offshore wind process
- A multinational renewable energy company on regulatory considerations in extending a UK onshore windfarm
- Chrysaor in its acquisition of a Shell North Sea oil and gas portfolio in a deal valued in excess of USD 3 billion
- Tekmar Energy on a range of supply arrangements to offshore renewables and oil & gas projects worldwide
- EQT on the UK sale of the Tampnet group, the owner and operator of the world's largest offshore fibre-backed communication infrastructure network, to 3i Infrastructure plc and ATP
- Survitec on the supply of life-saving equipment to a range of offshore energy projects
- The UK government on all legal aspects of its operation of a temporary management scheme for the Iranian Oil Company's North Sea assets
- Babcock Mission Critical Services Offshore on helicopter supply arrangements
- Total E&P UK on a range of North Sea projects including Laggan-Tormore, the Shetland Gas Plant, the Shetland Islands Regional Gas Export System (SIRGES), Elgin-Franklin and St Fergus
- Bridon-Bekaert on the supply of rope solutions to offshore energy projects internationally
- Endeavour Energy UK on a spectrum of UK North Sea matters including activities in respect of Alba, Bacchus, Rochelle, Enoch, Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, Renee/Rubie and Goldeneye – varying from operational matters to decommissioning and a carbon capture and storage project
- Tampnet on the purchase of a North Sea communications network from BP
- Shell, on behalf of the Great Britain oil and gas industry, in applying successfully to the European Commission for exemption of the GB oil and gas industry from application of the EU procurement rules
- PX Group on its assumption of operator duties at the St Fergus terminal and related infrastructure following its acquisition by North Sea Midstream Partners from Total E&P UK
- Petrofac on a range of contractual issues including in respect of a Floating Production Storage and Offloading unit and North Sea supply chain matters
- Schlumberger on various matters including a country review regulatory project in respect of oil and gas activities in Morocco
- Scottish Power Renewables on the use of an oil and gas joint venture model for a major offshore wind farm project (West of Duddon Sands Round 2 project)
- Vattenfall, Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group and the Scottish European Green Energy Centre on the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre in Aberdeen Bay
- Numerous clients including e.g. Total E&P UK, Oil and Gas UK, Wood and Scottish Power on competition law compliance and on dawn raid guidance
- Aberdeen Sports Village in a procurement dispute in respect of a contractor’s proposed use of non-compliant kit in the construction of a swimming pool
- The Scottish Parliament Corporate Body on the resolution of public procurement matters arising from the construction of the Scottish Parliament
- A Cairn Energy subsidiary on procurement matters in respect of a European oil and gas project
- Northlink Ferries in a range of commercial matters including procurement, tendering, licensing, crewing, reorganisations, security, shore services, harbour facilities, operational matters and assisting Northlink with negotiations with the Scottish Government on future tendering
- Northern Ireland Electricity on procurement and regulatory matters generally, including those relating to the restructuring and privatisation of the Northern Ireland electricity sector and to the Moyle interconnector
- The Dutch government on tendering and procurement matters in the EUR 7.1bn Dutch HBL-Zuid high speed rail link PFI project and sat on the bid evaluation panel
- Various clients on procurement matters in lottery funded public projects such as the Victoria and Albert Museum Libeskind extension and the £100m British Museum Great Court construction
- The Scottish Government on state aid and procurement issues arising from the restructuring of the Western Isles ferry services
- Queen's Park Football Club on state aid and public procurement matters in connection with Hampden Park’s redevelopment
- A public sector joint venture on state aid and public procurement aspects of the development of Aberdeen Sports Village
- Scottish Enterprise on state aid and procurement issues arising in a number of national and local development projects such as the creation of the Scottish Co-Investment Fund, the establishment of the Business Transformation Programme, the structuring of Project Atlas (a national programme to roll out broadband to business parks), the construction of Aberdeen Science and Energy Parks, the building of the Energetica industrial corridor and the development of Peterhead Port
- The UK Department of Transport on state aid and procurement issues regarding the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
"Switched on and service-minded."
"A highly adept practitioner in the energy and utilities sectors"
"Commercial in his approach and easy to work with"
"Clients praise Richard Cockburn's 'sector knowledge and advice across the market'"
"[Richard]has a strong understanding of the exploration and production industry"