Richard Cockburn is a partner in our oil and gas team. He is dual-qualified in Scotland and England & Wales. He has practised in the City of London, Brussels and Scotland.
Richard's oil and gas experience spans the spectrum of industry activity from upstream to midstream and downstream operations and the supply chain. He has spent time on secondment at Marathon Oil. Richard has also worked with developers and contractors in the renewable energy sector on projects ranging from onshore and offshore windfarms to renewable heat, solar, wave, tidal and other projects. His track record includes experience of carbon capture and storage projects in the North Sea.
In addition to being an energy and natural resources lawyer and commercial lawyer, Richard has a specialism in competition law.
Memberships: Law Society of Scotland, Law Society of England and Wales, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Indicative examples of UK and international experience:
- Chrysaor in its acquisition of a Shell North Sea oil and gas portfolio in a deal valued in excess of USD 3 billion;
- The UK government on all legal aspects of its operation of a temporary management scheme for the Iranian Oil Company's North Sea assets;
- Total E&P UK on a range of North Sea projects including Laggan-Tormore, the Shetland Gas Plant, the Shetland Islands Regional Gas Export System (SIRGES), Elgin-Franklin and St Fergus;
- Endeavour Energy UK on a spectrum of UK North Sea matters including activities in respect of Alba, Bacchus, Rochelle, Enoch, Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, Renee/Rubie and Goldeneye – varying from operational matters to decommissioning and a carbon capture and storage project;
- Shell, on behalf of the Great Britain oil and gas industry, in applying successfully to the European Commission for exemption of the GB oil and gas industry from application of the EU procurement rules
- Tampnet on the purchase of a North Sea communications network from BP;
- PX Group on its assumption of operator duties at the St Fergus terminal and related infrastructure following its acquisition by North Sea Midstream Partners from Total E&P UK;
- Tekmar Energy on a spectrum of legal and contractual matters arising from supplies to oil & gas and renewable energy projects worldwide;
- Petrofac on a range of contractual issues including in respect of a Floating Production Storage and Offloading unit;
- Schlumberger on a country review regulatory project in respect of oil and gas activities in Morocco;
- Scottish Power Renewables on the use of an oil and gas joint venture model for a major offshore wind farm project (West of Duddon Sands Round 2 project);
- Vattenfall, Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group and the Scottish European Green Energy Centre on the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre in Aberdeen Bay;
- Numerous clients including e.g. Total E&P UK, Oil and Gas UK, Wood and Scottish Power on competition law compliance and on dawn raid guidance.
"A highly adept practitioner in the energy and utilities sectors"
"Commercial in his approach and easy to work with"
"Clients praise Richard Cockburn's 'sector knowledge and advice across the market'"
"[Richard]has a strong understanding of the exploration and production industry"