Richard is a partner in and leads the energy group. He is dual-qualified in Scotland and England & Wales. He has practised in the City of London, Brussels and Scotland.
Richard has worked with developers and contractors in the renewable energy sector on projects ranging from onshore and offshore windfarms to renewable heat, solar, wave, tidal and other projects. He also has significant oil and gas experience. He has spent time on secondment at a major energy multinational. His track record includes carbon capture and storage projects in the North Sea and a range of UK hydrogen projects.
Richard is a member of the Law Society of Scotland, Law Society of England and Wales and the Association of International Energy Negotiators.
Indicative examples of UK and international experience include advising:
- A major energy multinational on its participation in the UK Round 4 offshore wind process
- A large Continental European energy player on the ScotWind offshore wind process
- A major energy multinational on its participation in three carbon capture and hydrogen projects in the UK
- A leading UK hydrogen company in the development of five UK hydrogen supply projects
- A major energy multinational on the roll-out in the UK of a network of electric vehicle charging stations
- A local authority on the electricity connection and regulatory matters arising from the creation of a new battery manufacturing site
- A leading international energy company on a hydrogen joint venture project in the UK
- Petrofac on a range of contractual issues including in respect of offshore energy developments
- An energy multinational on the development of an industrial cluster carbon capture and storage and hydrogen project
- An international wind turbine foundation manufacturer on contractual issues arising from its first UK North Sea offshore wind supply agreement
- Tekmar Energy on a variety of matters relating to cable protection systems for offshore wind turbines
- Vattenfall, Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group and the Scottish European Green Energy Centre on the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre in Aberdeen Bay
- Scottish Power Renewables on the use of an oil and gas joint venture model for a major offshore wind farm project.
"A lawyer with a wealth of project exposure"
"Regularly works with developers and contractors and heads the energy and utilities team"
"Switched on and service-minded"
"A highly adept practitioner in the energy and utilities sectors"
"Commercial in his approach and easy to work with"
"Clients praise Richard Cockburn's 'sector knowledge and advice across the market'"
"[Richard] has a strong understanding of the exploration and production industry"