Nick is a Managing Associate specialising in the commercial side of public sector projects, having advised a wide variety of public sector bodies including central and local government, academy trusts, schools and colleges as well as advising private sector clients on PFI and BSF matters.
In the leisure sector, Nick has advised on a number of large scale outsourcing and asset transfer projects and has experience of drafting and negotiating the Sport England model Leisure Operating Contract and Design, Build, Operate & Maintain (DBOM) Contract, as well as Concession Agreements and Joint Venture Agreements.
Nick also advises a significant number of local authorities and academy trusts on academy conversions, transfers and complex rebrokerages. Nick is responsible for the commercial aspects, including the drafting and negotiating of the Commercial Transfer Agreements and also provides governance advice on incorporations, including the preparation of Articles of Association and trading subsidiary issues. Nick also prepares funding agreements between the Department for Education and academy trusts.
Nick's experience also includes advising on longer term services and infrastructure contracts and PPP/PFI, as well as advising on the Education Funding Agency’s Priority Schools Building Programme.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Local authorities, academy trusts and schools on the commercial and constitutional aspects of converting to an academy
- A Multi Academy Trust on the incorporation and simultaneous conversion of 11 schools to academy status
- Three Multi Academy Trusts on the transfer of 20 Catholic academies to create a 25 school multi academy trust
- City of York Council on its leisure project to build, operate and maintain a new Community Sport Stadium and Leisure Centre and to operate existing leisure facilities in the City
- Education and Skills Funding Agency on the Priority Schools Building Programme
- The Department for Education on complex academy transfers and rebrokerages
- A number of Local Authorities on PFI and BSF Projects, including advising on the implications of academy conversions on PFI Project Agreements
- PFI Contractors on variation works to existing PFI sites and PFI academy conversions.
"Nick Moss is an associate with a noteworthy track record of advising academy trusts, schools and colleges on various commercial projects, particularly academy conversions and transfers. He is based in Womble Bond Dickinson's Leeds office."
"He's extremely knowledgeable and responsive to requests for support and advice."
"Nick is professional, understands the complexity of the projects and is resolution-focused."
"Nick works with us almost as part of our team rather than a separate company representative."