Ian specialises in dispute resolution for clients within our energy and natural resources and retail sectors. He undertakes a broad range of high value and complex litigation for clients in those areas both before courts and in ADR.
His work in those sectors includes pursuing, defending and advising in connection with issues and claims arising from all forms of commercial contract, joint venture, software, advertising, share purchase and directors' disputes. Ian is an experienced advocate both before the courts and in the course of ADR.
He has particular expertise in advising on and dealing with disputes arising from carbon saving and renewable energy schemes and initiatives.
Ian also regularly advises clients in relation to brand sensitive issues involving the media and acts predominantly for FTSE 100 companies and their subsidiaries.
Examples of experience include:
- Representing a household name company in defending an action in relation to a multi-million pound claim for breach of contract and for damages under the Commercial Agents Regulations. The claim involved an extensive and highly complex disclosure exercise
- Successfully defending and advising in connection with a number of multi-million pound disputes made in connection with carbon saving initiatives and renewable energy projects
- Advising on the termination of a business critical government funded software contract. The strategy employed achieved an exit within a tight commercial deadline and well within the budget for settlement.
- A number of FTSE listed clients in relation to brand sensitive media issues including advising in connection with stories proposed to be published in national newspapers
- Defending a multi-million pound claim for damages and application for injunction wherein directions were expedited to enable a trial to take place within three months.
"Ian Newcombe is an excellent strategist, and inspires confidence."
"A good lawyer and a good litigator."
"He did a fantastic job to some tight deadlines and gave us crystal-clear advice."
"As a lawyer, he gets where we are coming from as a business and demonstrates commercial thinking at every step."
"He is commercially aware, very experienced and a careful litigator and adviser."