Stephen acts on behalf of a broad range of clients in connection with their real estate requirements. He has particular expertise in advising investors and developers on the acquisition and disposal of commercial real estate across all major asset classes (including retail/leisure, industrial, office and mixed use premises) as well as related asset management throughout the whole investment cycle.
He is also experienced in advising corporate occupiers in connection with the acquisition and disposal of high-value office, industrial and retail/leisure premises and dealing with the real estate aspects of corporate transactions.
Stephen has been described as having a "pragmatic" approach and regularly provides strategic advice and creative solutions to assist clients, particularly in the early stages of commercial negotiations.
His expertise is recognised by the leading legal directories where he is ranked as a "leading individual" in Commercial Property in The Legal 500 and as a "notable practitioner" in Real Estate in Chambers & Partners.
Examples of experience include advising:
- A leading global investment manager – advising on the acquisition and subsequent refurbishment and management of a portfolio of shopping centre developments
- An international media company - acting on its acquisition of new office premises of ca. 20,000 square feet at the recently-refurbished office development in central London
- A global real estate investment and services firm – advising on the sale of a city centre retail scheme for redevelopment purposes
- A well-known US corporate client - advising on the acquisition of new EMEA head office premises
- A real estate investment, management and advisory firm – advising in relation to the acquisition of a significant mixed use (retail/residential) development as well as the strategic asset management.
"Impressed clients say: "He is very business-savvy and is able to really grasp the business and legal issues. He is also quick to respond""
"Baker is recommended as being "particularly good at breaking down complex contractual provisions and issues into easy to understand points""