Our expert development and regeneration teams understand the issues faced by developers and can help you deliver your schemes for developments of any size or complexity, be they retail, industrial, leisure, residential or mixed use.
We cover all aspects of development, including strategic land assembly, expert input on promotion and collaboration agreements, the agricultural issues which can often arise on greenfield sites and mines and minerals title issues.
We have particular strength in urban regeneration and mixed-use schemes where a multidisciplinary team is required to work as one with other members of your delivery team.
Our residential development expertise is recognised nationally and our specialists act for land promoters and national housebuilders.
Whatever your project requires, we will bring together the right team to meet your particular development needs, from site assembly; master planning; urban regeneration; redevelopment including vacant possession strategies; phased disposals of land with planning permission; overage infrastructure agreements; development finance; construction; SDLT and tax advice to all aspects of lettings.
Our development specialists work closely with our construction lawyers on all aspects of a development project to add value for our clients at every stage.
What we do
- Exclusivity agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Options and pre-emptions
- Development agreements
- Promotion and collaboration agreements
- Forward purchase and forward funding agreements
- Planning agreements
- Adoption agreements, wayleaves and utility agreements
- Public realm agreements
- Construction and engineering
- Oversailing agreements
- Planning and environment
- Compulsory purchase
- Local asset backed vehicles (LABVs)
- Rights of light
- Debt finance
- Sales of developed sites
Examples of work
- Acted for Ashfield Land on a joint venture with Gazeley GLP for the development of the Rail Central strategic rail freight interchange in Northamptonshire. The parties are submitting a development consent order and we are retained as lead legal advisers on the planning aspects of the joint venture
- Acted for The Bournemouth Development Company LLP (a joint venture between Bournemouth Borough Council and Morgan Sindall Investments Limited) on a number of town centre projects and mixed use schemes, more recently the £27m build-to-rent scheme and multi-storey car park at Berry Court, Bournemouth.
- Act for Commercial Estates Group (CEG) – on promotion of a site at Lighthorne, Warwickshire for a mixed-use residential scheme of 2,000 new homes with a District Centre which is being disposed of in Phases to Bellway, Taylor Wimpey and Barratts.
- Act for Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council on a development agreement that will give residents access to world-class leisure facilities on their doorstep in the future. Basingstoke Leisure Park will be transformed, creating 500,000 sq ft of new leisure activities and experiences. Doubling the size of the existing leisure facilities, the greatly experienced park will operate alongside a 200,000 sq ft designer outlet village, creating an exciting new leisure destination. NewRiver REIT plc's £300m proposed investment is a vote of confidence for Basingstoke, requiring no public funding to deliver the development. It will include a modern £23m replacement for the Council's popular Aquadrome, also funded by NewRiver.