Sarah specialises in the environmental and planning aspects of project consenting, regulatory compliance, real estate, commercial and corporate transactions, and wider sustainability and governance. The depth and breadth of her practice has been recognised through the award of both Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) and Chartered Waste Manager (MCIWM) status.
Her experience in environmental impact and Habitats Regulations assessments for infrastructure projects includes on and offshore wind farms, waste facilities, transport schemes, gas and electricity power, urban development and tourism schemes. Sarah is experienced in working in multi-disciplinary teams and in a variety of roles to deliver client objectives efficiently and effectively.
She advises clients in the private, public and third sectors across the UK on all aspects of environmental law, including waste law, environmental permitting, contaminated land, species protection, sustainable development and governance, and risk minimisation and allocation. Sarah works on novel and complex issues, including those at the interface of regulatory and consenting regimes.
Sarah lectures extensively. She is co-opted to the Chartered Institute of Waste Management South West Centre Council, belongs to RenewableUK and the UK Environmental Law Association (formerly a trustee) and has worked on projects for the European Commission, Scottish Executive and several Government departments.
Examples of experience include advising:
- The MetroWest Authorities promoting the DCO to reopen the Bristol to Portishead Railway on the environmental impact assessment and Habitats Regulations assessment of the MetroWest Phase 1 project
- ESB International in respect of the environmental impact assessment and Habitats Regulations assessment aspects of the Knottingley Power Plant Development Consent Order
- Crumb Rubber Ltd on securing changes to the Environment Agency's Waste Protocols Project on tyre-derived rubber to change the end of waste point
- J Sainsbury's on an innovative client branded extranet platform to provide virtually real-time information on environment regulations across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to facilitate ISO14001, logistics and compliance
- On a range of waste law matters since 1990 including the acquisition and disposal of waste companies and assets, environmental permitting, consenting of projects including waste to energy and anaerobic digestion, landfill tax issues and as an Ambassador promoting the UK-wide Right Waste Right Place campaign to promote compliance with the duty of care for waste.
"She is very capable and knowledgeable and can put a good defence together in litigation."
"With her wealth of experience and professionalism, we are delighted that Sarah has progressed to Chartered status and we look forward to working with her, both in an individual capacity and through CIWM’s South West Centre."