Whether searching for a creative business solution or actively litigating a case, James Derrick provides clients with thoughtful persistence focused on achieving the client’s goals.
James is an experienced litigation and dispute-resolution attorney who advises clients in complex disputes in federal and state courts in the United States as well as cross-border arbitrations. He has represented clients in a wide range of matters, including cases involving high-value contract disputes, business torts, intellectual property rights, and complicated construction projects. Practicing in one of the largest banking cities in the United States, James routinely represents financial institutions in matters relating to consumer financial services, including mortgage related litigation and cases involving consumer protection laws. He has also defended clients in lawsuits alleging violations of rights secured by the United States Constitution. James understands all stages of the dispute resolution process, and he is especially adept at navigating the complexities that come with large commercial cases.
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Representing a large food-service company against a Swiss heating-technology company regarding intellectual property and contractual matters in an international commercial arbitration seated in Zurich and administered by the Swiss Chambers’ Arbitration Institution.
- Representing prominent domestic and German automotive manufacturing companies in a construction dispute arising from the design and construction of a one million square-foot manufacturing facility.
- Represented large institutional lender in dozens of interrelated cases arising from the 2008 financial crisis that related to investments in resort developments. Obtained favorable written decisions in North Carolina federal court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented United States subsidiary of publicly traded Australian manufacturing company in dispute regarding services provided at a factory in the United States.
- Represented North Carolina governmental agency in First Amendment challenge to professional licensing requirements in publicized federal court litigation.