Described by industry sources as "responsive" and "a pragmatic and well-informed lawyer", Vicky leads our Construction and Engineering Team in the Leeds office and has over 15 years’ experience in transactional construction work.
She has acted for developers, local authorities, financial institutions, technology providers, retailers, manufacturers and education providers on a variety of everyday and complex projects. Along with experience preparing, negotiating and reviewing bespoke and standard form construction contracts (including JCT, NEC, IChemE, FIDIC, MF1 and LOGIC forms) Vicky has a specialism advising on EPC contracts in the renewable energy and manufacturing sectors. She also has an interest in digital construction and how it will impact on the construction industry in the future having worked on projects utilising BIM and written articles and presented on the topic.
Examples of experience include:
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating EPC and O&M Contracts and associated ancillary documents for a number of energy from waste and biomass (anaerobic digestion facilities, a steam autoclave facility, gas peaking plants, CHP systems), solar (rooftop, ground mounted an solar), wind, battery storage and district heating schemes. This experience includes supporting clients with the establishment of frameworks to deliver energy projects across the UK in a streamlined way, projects being funded with project finance and supporting clients procuring projects under public procurement regulations or the private sector bidding for such projects
- Advising manufacturers including multinational chemical and pharmaceutical businesses on capital projects to the value of hundreds of millions for new manufacturing plant, lab facilities, plant conversions and DCS migration. This experience increasingly includes advising manufacturers on capital projects to achieve their net zero goals and working closely with our technology team as capital projects often involve significant software
- Acting for local authorities on day to day construction matters and large capital projects such as City of York Council on its Access York Project, their Community Stadium and Leisure Services Project and Gas Renewals and Tenant’s Choice Frameworks; Three Rivers District Council on their leisure DBOM Project; Solihull Council in relation to the construction aspects of its district heating scheme; Newcastle Council on the Stephenson Quarter development and district heating scheme and Portsmouth Council on a120,000 sq ft manufacturing facility
- Advising developers such as Town Centre Securities plc and Marick Capital in relation to city centre commercial developments particularly hotel schemes
- Advising on the procurement of water, electricity and gas infrastructure
- Acting for funders including private equity funds and major UK banks when they are investing, by way of debt or project finance, in commercial or residential real estate or renewable energy which has recently been built or is still to be built
- Advising housebuilders and registered providers on residential schemes, in particular those with infrastructure requirements such as roads, rail halts and gas and electricity or where significant energy retrofitting is taking place. This includes acting for Taylor Wimpey, Barratt, Persimmon and Places for People
- Acting for retailers in relation to day to day developments such as refits and remodelling and on warehouse and store management systems using MF1 forms of contract
- Acting for education providers on large capital projects including the University of York on the construction documentation for Goodricke College (600 bed), Langwith College (650 bed) and College; Liverpool Hope University on the construction documentation for a number of capital projects for accommodation, infrastructure and teaching facilities and maintenance contracts; and Leeds City College on the construction documentation in relation to their multi-million pound relocation to and fit out of The Printworks, Leeds.
'Vicky McCombe is very approachable and reactive.'
Named as "Up and Coming" by Chambers and Partners, 2022.
"She is very responsive and gets a very good grasp on the issues very quickly."
"A pragmatic and well-informed lawyer."