Stephen is in the planning and infrastructure team. He advises a broad range of commercial and public sector clients in relation to planning, highways and compulsory purchase issues with a particular emphasis on infrastructure projects including Development Consent Orders and Transport and Works Act Orders. Stephen specialises particularly in transportation sector, in in particular highways and railways, but also has experience advising in other areas such as energy and chemicals sectors.
Stephen has a wide experience of dealing with issues facing developers and objectors to development, from planning agreements to planning enforcement. He has worked on complex Section 106, Section 38 and Section 278 Agreements, including planning obligations in relation to affordable housing, and provided advice to Council members and officers, including committees. He has also has advised in respect of claims for judicial review and advised and acted in relation to planning and rights of way inquiries. He advises on highway issues including extent of the highway and to stopping up orders the effect Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 and modification orders under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Stephen is a member of the National Infrastructure Planning Association (NIPA) and the Compulsory Purchase Association.
- SABIC UK Petrochemicals Limited in objecting to the Dogger Bank Development Consent Order including the negotiation of protective provisions
- Innovia Cellophane Limited in respect of the residential development of their former Bridgwater site and their objection to the Hinkley Point C Development Consent Order.
- The then Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority in relation to the compulsory acquisition of land and highway and traffic issues in relation to the second vehicular Tyne Tunnel
- A railway undertaker and Synthite Limited in relation to their objection to the A160/A180 Port of Immingham Improvements DCO
- A port authority in respect of a certificate of lawfulness for a biomass materials handling facility in North East England.