As Managing Partner, Paul is responsible for the strategic and operational management of Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP.
Paul has experience of a wide range of contractual and tortious disputes, which includes significant experience of both High Court proceedings and alternative dispute resolution processes, particularly mediation, expert determination and arbitration. He regularly advises clients in relation to disputes in the rail and wider transport sectors (including disputes governed by the rail industry’s dispute resolution regime and public law issues) and routinely acts for many of our larger chemicals and manufacturing clients.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Arriva in relation to its dispute with London Luton Airport following the exclusion of Arriva’s 757 bus service to London Victoria – Arriva successfully challenged the outcome of a tender process in a case which involved consideration of abuse of dominance, breach of procurement, anti-competitive agreements and the essential facilities doctrine
- An infrastructure company in relation to a fraud investigation, which involved obtaining a freezing injunction as a pre-cursor to the litigation. The defendants eventually admitted their part in the fraud and criminal prosecutions followed
- A transport client in relation to the successful defence of a claim brought by way of an arbitration regarding the allocation of ticket revenues
- Chemicals and manufacturing companies in relation to product development/supply agreements including advice regarding the failure of parties to meet the requirements of product specifications, possible termination rights, the application and enforceability of limitation and exclusion clauses and the ability to invoke force majeure clauses
- Rail industry clients at Access Dispute Panel, arbitration and expert determination hearings involving such issues as the classification of track works, the apportionment of access charges, the calculation of “Qualifying Expenditure” at Managed Stations and the entitlement to compensation as a result of disruption caused by construction works.
"He's very efficient and he's very personable. I've got a lot of trust in him."
"He provides excellent legal advice which is balanced and well thought out."
'Paul Stewart and his team get to grips with all aspects of the challenge and become welcome additions to the organisation remarkably quickly, which supports immediate progress and assurance.'