James is a partner who has specialised in professional indemnity matters and dispute resolution for 20 years. He advises many major insurers and their policyholders on the defence of claims and on policy coverage issues. He is an expert in handling the defence of a wide variety of claims concerning solicitors, barristers, surveyors, estate agents, property managers, accountants, IT specialists, financial advisers, insurance brokers and other professionals. He has also managed the defence of complex, multi-party litigation involving a large volume of related claims.
He has broad experience of all aspects of litigation as well as the full range of alternative dispute resolution methods. He regularly writes articles on professional liability topics and enjoys providing training and workshops to clients.
James also has particular experience of professional regulatory work including complaints handling and advising professionals on disciplinary and regulatory investigations.
For several years he has also performed an internal risk management and PI insurance role for the firm and he therefore has a close understanding of the respective interests of insurers and their policyholders in the professional indemnity field. He is a trusted adviser to a number of large professional services firms.
Chambers and Partners 2015 recognises James as a notable practitioner for professional negligence and ranks the firm in Band 1 for this practice area in Southampton and the surrounding area.
- A key adviser for 18 years to one of the UK's largest property services companies and its insurers in relation to a wide variety of claims against its surveyors and estate agents
- Lead partner acting for conveyancing solicitors and their insurers in the defence of high value group litigation involving hundreds of claims relating to a failed property investment scheme – including managing a large team of lawyers and dealing with connected regulatory and disciplinary aspects
- Defending a major firm of London surveyors against complex claims made by commercial property investment funds in relation to the alleged mismanagement of a large national property portfolio
- Acting for Queens Counsel in the defence of negligence allegations made by a former client regarding advice and representation in highly technical insolvency litigation
- Representing a trustee in a negligence claim by a beneficiary where substantial trust assets were dissipated by the pursuit of failed attempts to obtain planning permission for a major housing development scheme.