James is a partner who has specialised in professional indemnity and executive liability matters for over 20 years. He advises many major insurers and their policyholders on the defence of claims and on policy coverage issues. He is an expert in handling the defence of a wide variety of claims concerning solicitors, barristers, directors & officers, surveyors, estate agents, property managers, accountants, IT specialists, financial advisers, pension trustees, insurance brokers and construction professionals. He has also managed the defence of complex, multi-party litigation involving a large volume of related claims.
He has broad experience of all aspects of dispute resolution. He regularly writes articles on professional liability topics and enjoys providing training and workshops to clients.
James also has particular experience of professional regulatory work including complaints handling and advising professionals on disciplinary and regulatory investigations.
For many years he has also performed an internal risk management and PI insurance role for the firm and he therefore has a close understanding of the respective interests of insurers and their policyholders in the professional indemnity field. He is a trusted adviser to a number of large professional services firms.
Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 have for many years recognised James as a notable practitioner for professional negligence and rank the firm in the top band for this practice area in the south of England.
- A key adviser for over 20 years to one of the UK's largest property services companies and its insurers in relation to a wide variety of claims against its surveyors and estate agents
- Lead partner acting for conveyancing solicitors and their insurers in the defence of high value group litigation involving hundreds of claims relating to a failed property investment scheme – including managing a large team of lawyers and dealing with connected regulatory and disciplinary aspects
- Defending a major firm of London surveyors against complex claims made by commercial property investment funds in relation to the alleged mismanagement of a large national property portfolio
- Acting for several Queens Counsel in the defence of claims (including multi £m claims) on a range of subjects including failed litigation, insolvency advice, employment disputes and professional conduct complaints
- Advising pension trustees and their insurers on allegedly negligent drafting of pension scheme rules, leading to alleged losses of several £ million.
The "very insightful" James Robins is praised by clients for his ability to "see through to the core of the matters both in legal terms and how the client needs to view it." He has extensive experience acting on claims brought against a broad range of professionals particularly solicitors, barristers and surveyors.
James Robins (Band 1) is praised by sources for his "very personable" approach. He offers expert knowledge of regulatory and policy coverage issues and regularly defends claims brought against accountants, technology consultants and brokers.
James Robins (Band 1) maintains his excellent reputation for defendant matters. He specialises in defending claims against surveyors and valuers. One impressed client praised his service saying: "He's very astute, very client-centric and responsive to clients' needs."
James Robins (Band 1) is a dedicated professional negligence practitioner. He has extensive experience on property-related cases, particularly those involving surveyors and lawyers. Sources say: "He is a surveyors' negligence guru."
James Robins (Band 1) dedicates his time to professional negligence. He has handled several high-profile matters involving financial institutions and prominent law firms.
James Robins (Band 1) is marked out as an excellent practitioner who has "a great deal of expertise." Sources attest to his expertise and the breadth of experience he brings to claims involving a wide range of professionals.