As former in-house counsel to one of the nation’s largest financial institutions, Chip has firsthand experience with the everyday challenges that banks and equipment finance companies face. Chip draws on this knowledge in developing practical, straight-forward solutions that strike the appropriate balance between protecting the institution from a risk perspective while accomplishing its ultimate objective of successfully closing transactions.
Chip represents lessors and lenders in structuring, negotiating and documenting a wide variety of equipment finance, public finance and commercial lending transactions, including tax-motivated, TRAC, synthetic and finance leases, secured financings and tax-exempt leases, loans and general obligation and revenue bonds. He also counsels clients regarding the acquisition and sale of transactions and portfolios, and assists them with developing standard commercial and taxexempt loan, lease and syndication documentation.
Chip also has experience advising clients regarding strategic transactions, general corporate matters, and risk management and compliance. Chip is an active member of the Equipment Leasing & Finance Association and National Association of Bond Lawyers. He also serves on the Board of Directors of The Loading Dock, Inc., a Baltimore-based non-profit dedicated to increasing the supply of affordable building materials for housing and community improvement.
- Speaker, Change Matters: Emerging Options for Maryland Social Ventures Seminar
- Speaker, Top 10 Contract Clauses Every Business Owner Should Know Seminar
- Member, Equipment Leasing & Finance Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Board of Directors, The Loading Dock, Inc.
Super Lawyers Rising Star, Mergers & Acquisitions
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented an equipment finance company in connection with a $40 million tax-exempt synthetic master lease and sublease facility for the financing of high-tech medical equipment.
- Advised a bank-owned lessor in connection with the acquisition of a $23 million leveraged rail car lease.
- Represented a bank in connection with the purchase of a $25 million revenue bond from a port authority for the financing of cranes.
- Coordinated all aspects of a $325 million portfolio sale of tax-exempt leases and bonds for a client.
- Prepared forms of FMV, TRAC, finance and synthetic leases, loan documents, nonappropriation and abatement leases, and master assignment agreements for commercial and governmental obligations for an equipment finance company.