Having previously headed up the London office of a specialist professional indemnity firm, Tim moved to WBD's London office in 2018 as a partner specialising in the defence of professional negligence claims against a broad range of professionals including solicitors, accountants, insurance brokers, insolvency practitioners, IFAs, surveyors and construction professionals. He also advises on high value, complex insurance coverage disputes and is regarded as a key player in the professional indemnity insurance market.
Tim is well known for representing solicitors across a broad range of practice areas and is a trusted legal adviser to a number of the top 50 UK law firms. Tim also advises law firms on regulatory, disciplinary and risk related issues.
Examples of experience include:
- Successfully defending a c.£1m claim against a firm of solicitors on limitation grounds – Osborne v (1) Follett Stock (a firm) (2) Follett Stock LLP  EWHC 1811 (QB)
- Defending a £2.5m claim on behalf of a national firm of engineers in relation to its role as an M&E sub-contractor for a multi-million pound commercial property development in Mayfair
- Advising international professional indemnity insurers on substantive policy coverage issues relating to a claim against a national firm of property valuation managers concerning the valuation of a c.£12m property portfolio
- Defending a c.£8m High Court claim against a London firm of solicitors relating to an alleged under settlement of a professional negligence claim against another firm of solicitors involving complex trust and corporate M&A issues
- Advising a national firm of surveyors in a multi-party dispute concerning alleged negligent advice on the purchase of a high value commercial property in Manchester city centre
- Acting on a c.£20m fraud case involving a top 20 UK law firm which resulted in the largest ever settlement paid out by the professional indemnity insurance market involving a solicitor’s fraud
- Representing a firm of brokers in a multi-party insurance dispute in relation to an alleged failure to obtain cover for business interruption claimed at over £2m
- Successfully defending a firm of solicitors at trial in relation to advice given on the purchase of a property - Andrew O’Neill and Elizabeth O’Neill v Bull & Bull (A Firm)  LTL
- Acting for a number of law firms in relation in relation to the large scale Vibration White Finger services claims made by ex-coal miners.
"Tim Barr is an excellent technical lawyer: very focused, detailed, innovative and knowledgeable. He is also very personable and understands clients' needs well".
"Acutely aware of the commercial implications for clients of cases brought against them."
"Tim Barr has an unmatched attention to detail and deep legal knowledge"
"Has a close relationship with the insurance market formed over the years. His approach is very much inclusive and understands the importance to relationships in the marketplace, what is needed and expected".