Steven is a registered patent attorney who advises technology clients on intellectual property matters with a focus on patent litigation and patent prosecution. He has defended clients in IP litigation in federal courts and before the International Trade Commission.
Steven prosecutes patents for innovators in broad technology areas including telecommunication networks (5G, LTE), GPS, wireless communication systems, networking products, semiconductor, integrated circuits, social media, and green technology. Steven has also prepared opinions on intellectual property rights, developed IP portfolio roadmaps, and provided strategic counseling to clients. He is fluent in Mandarin and Taiwanese.
Before becoming a lawyer, Steven had more than 20 years of engineering experience in leading the development of pioneering technologies as an entrepreneur, founder, consultant, and innovator at major technology companies. Steven is an inventor on numerous patents and has published in technical journals.
In 2010, Steven won the European Patent Office’s (EPO) Inventor of the Year Award for his invention on powerful chipsets designed to enhance the availability, accuracy, and effectiveness of GPS technology. In winning the award, the EPO credits Steven and his co-inventor’s invention for enabling the success and mass popularity of GPS technology today.
- Patent Counsel, SiRF Technology Inc., Santa Ana, CA, 2007-2008
- Chief ASIC Engineer, SiRF Technology Inc., Santa Clara, CA, 2004-2007;
- Founding Member/Director, ASIC Development, 1994-1998
- Sole Proprietor, StratIC Engineering, Cerritos, CA, 2003-2004
- Co-Founder/Director of ASIC, Wireless Home Inc., 1998-2002
- “FinTech Patents – Prosecution and Post Grant Proceeding” – FinTech Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan, 2016
- “Internet Patents & Post-Grant Review Practice” – 2016 Shih Hsin International Intellectual Property Academic Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan, 2016
- “Intellectual Property and Its Impact On Entrepreneurship” – IEEE Symposium, 2009
- “Direct P(Y)-Code Acquisition Under a Jamming Environment” – IEEE Journal, 1998
- Inventor of the Year, 2010, European Patent Office, for inventions credited with enabling the success and mass popularity of consumer GPS technology today