Simon specialises in development, site acquisition and disposal with particular reference to infrastructure development work. He leads the firm's energy and natural resources real estate team, which acts on all real estate elements of major energy infrastructure developments, and has extensive experience in project development work for new generation projects in relation to both renewable energy transactions (including investments in numerous onshore and offshore wind, waste to energy, hydro, solar and biomass projects) and CCGT power station and pipeline projects.
Simon has advised on over 60 renewable energy projects and counts many significant private and public companies in the energy sector as clients including Renewable Energy Systems, E.ON, ESBi, Centrica, Vattenfall, Scottish Power and RWE Innogy. He also has extensive experience in relation to transport and infrastructure projects and hotel and leisure developments.
Examples of experience include advising:
- E.oN, Scottish Power/Vattenfall, Centrica and DONG on the onshore cable route, substations and associated infrastructure for their respective Rampion, East Anglia and Rhiannon Round 3 offshore windfarm projects
- ESBi on all real estate aspects of their proposed 1500MW at CCGT power plant at Knottingley, including site assembly and associated infrastructure and gas and water pipelines
- RES on the development of 100MW biomass power stations at the Port of Blyth, Northumberland and Alexandra Dock, Liverpool including all real estate aspects and stevedoring services agreements
- UK Coal on the real estate aspects of their joint venture arrangements with Peel Environmental for the development of waste to energy projects across their portfolio
- RES, Banks Renewables and Broadview Energy on the real estate aspects of the project financing and disposal of numerous renewable energy projects.
Simon is recognised as a UK-wide leader in the energy and natural resources sector by Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession.
"Switched on about renewable energy"
"Good attention to detail and ability to act swiftly" being "good at developing solutions for what we're trying to do"