Sarah successfully leverages her foundation as a trial attorney with proven and effective technology-driven solutions and practical problem-solving skills to navigate her clients through complex (often parallel) federal and state litigation (including the North Carolina Business Court), government investigations, and regulatory challenges.
She advises corporations, individuals, and public entities in resolving complex business disputes, defending class actions, and responding to federal regulatory and state attorney general investigations. Sarah provides practical, data-driven advice to clients in order to manage risks and resolve disputes. When clients are under attack on multiple fronts, she is experienced at coordinating complex, multi-jurisdictional legal defense efforts. She has a keen ability to drive strategy and manage the execution of complex fact and expert case building, successfully leading internal teams and collaborating with the client’s other trusted advisors.
Sarah also maintains an education practice assisting public charter schools and colleges and universities in employment, student, and policy matters, and counseling clients on IDEA, Title IX, and Section 504 compliance. She has represented clients before the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings and the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights. She advises public bodies on policy, procedural, governance and judicial functions, including open meetings and public records matters.
Within the firm, Sarah serves on the firm’s Innovation Board, chairs the Associate Partner Panel Review Committee, and is the partner liaison for the Transatlantic Lawyer’s Network, a leadership and professional development program for the firm’s U.S. and U.K. associates.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2019 to 2021)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Board of Directors (2020 to 2023)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Class of 2011 Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute
- United Way of Central Carolinas Youth and Children Investment Council
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Business Litigation, Schools & Education, Construction Litigation, 2010, 2012 – 2020
- Recognized in Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite, 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Counsel for the public hospital system in federal and state antitrust class action litigation.
- Represented educational institution in simultaneous state regulatory investigation, civil putative class actions, and business dispute.
- Counsel for educational institution in resolution of antitrust class action litigation involving labor claims.
- Counsel for large utility in federal criminal investigation, specifically responsible for multi-state and multi-firm discovery coordination.
- Successfully obtained transfer of consumer product claims to multidistrict litigation.
- Negotiated business resolution for construction dispute for Canadian contractor.
- Key member of litigation team that represented public entity in multi-million dollar architect and contractor disputes.
- Successfully represented public entity in multi-million dollar software contracting dispute.
- Obtained finding of “no noncompliance” for private college in Office for Civil Rights investigation.
- Acquired directed verdict for public school client in special education contested case seeking private placement.
- Obtained complete summary judgment for banking client in negligence claim arising from consumer banking dispute.
- Obtained positive outcome for banking client in swap-related arbitration.