Ryan Cagle is a value builder. Working directly with scientists, business people, and in-house attorneys, Ryan crafts his clients’ innovations into valuable tracts of property. His understanding of technology and the law helps him to generate outcomes that align with his clients’ business goals and expectations. Ryan helps clients implement an integrated intellectual property strategy where new inventions can be both protected and effectively leveraged.
With a degree in chemistry, Ryan draws from his practical experiences in working as a chemist. He leads Womble Bond Dickinson’s (US) Chemical Patent Team. Prior to attending law school, he worked in the petroleum industry as a lab manager doing polymer research for down-hole applications and also as a technician for an oil and gas property management company. Ryan’s energy industry clients benefit from his unique perspective as a patent attorney. He also works extensively in the consumer products and manufacturing industries.
Ryan provides his clients a global patent perspective with prosecution experience in six continents. He is positioned to advise clients on both financial and logistical factors for how international patent protection may fit into the clients’ business models. Ryan also helps clients with market integration providing analysis and advice in relation to competitor patents.
- Patent Law Treaties Implementation Act of 2012 Modifies U.S. Design Patent Law, IPWatchdog.com, June 6, 2013.
- Editor, Federal Circuit Annual Review, Aspen Publishers, 2008 and 2009.
- Member, Research Triangle Chapter of the Renewable Energy Business Network
- Affiliated with Legal Aid of North Carolina, representing low income taxpayers in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Helped a technology development company craft a portfolio of over 300 US and international patents and applications related to power production cycles with carbon capture and storage.
- Prepared and filed multiple US and international patent applications for low cost, reusable launch systems and methods for aerospace delivery of payloads, such as satellites.
- Successfully represented an inventor in an interference proceeding in the field of food and metal preservatives.
- Carried out patent landscape reviews for a consumer products company encompassing thousands of patents and applications in the field of vapor production devices.
- Prepared and filed multiple patent applications for international technology company in the field of monitoring and stimulation of oil and gas wells.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Intellectual Property, North Carolina, 2022 – Present