Nicky is a consultant in the regulatory team, and is highly regarded for her expertise in non-contentious regulatory and strategic issues, including consumer law, product safety, compliance, labelling and packaging issues, as well as brand advertising and marketing issues. She has strong expertise in the following areas:
- Consumer law
- International trade requirements
- Advertising and marketing
- Food and drink regulation
- Non-food product compliance regulation
She has particular experience in the retail, manufacturing and transport sectors. She is frequently instructed by UK national retailers, manufacturers and the travel industry to advise and deliver workshops on compliance issues, as well as advising at board level on forthcoming regulatory changes and their impact both strategically and operationally. She also advises companies on exporting from the UK as well as international corporates on exporting into the EU, including advice on current trade restrictions and sanctions across a wide variety of jurisdictions.
She has extensive experience in consumer law issues in a number of sectors, covering education, retail, hospitality and leisure and transport. This cross-sector expertise has stood her in good stead, as different parts of consumer protection law and how those are regulated in each sector brings its own challenges which she has used to inform the approach in other sectors.
She is regularly invited to speak at external events, on issues ranging from product compliance and food labelling through to consumer protection and advertising and marketing issues. She regularly contributes material to PLC in respect of advertising issues, including price and prize promotions. She delivers client training on topics ranging from product compliance, recall and liability, consumer rights legislation changes and the use of social media in advertising and marketing.
- Numerous retail, manufacturing, transport and education sector clients on the impact of changes to consumer protection legislation, and has advised on Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations since their inception, as well as tracking the Consumer Contract Regulations and the Consumer Rights Act's progress for some years prior to their being implemented. She has extensively advised on the approach taken by the CMA in their guidance on consumer protection legislation prior to the Act coming into force as well as the CMA's activity in various sectors since that time.
- Food manufacturers, retailers and the wider UK hospitality industry on compliance with food labelling, packaging and other requirements, including labelling and declaration of allergenic ingredients, and on novel food law requirements. This includes advice on due diligence policies and procedures to be followed.
- Manufacturers on trade restrictions and sanctions in force in relation to particular jurisdictions, including Russia, Iran, and North Korea and on the applicability and requirements of the EU Rules of Origin.
- Manufacturers and retailers on potential product recall issues, including carrying out risk analysis to enable the client to decide on the most appropriate course of action, and whether to withdraw or recall products. This includes drafting of recall notices, and notification letters as well as advising on PR strategies and the use of social media, to minimise reputational/brand damage as a result of the recall.
Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2015 identifies Nicky as a notable practitioner for food/product liability law in the UK.
"She offers advice on various regulatory and marketing questions. A client lauded her ability to offer "robust advice that made us feel like we were dealing with people with expertise."
"Her advice is to the point and very commercially oriented."