Mike is an associate in the firm’s Business Litigation practice group in the Charlotte office. Mike’s practice experience includes class action defense, trade secret litigation, commercial and residential landlord-tenant disputes, shareholder disputes, civil rights defense, sports and entertainment law, internal investigations and compliance, and other general complex commercial litigation. He has litigated cases on behalf of major corporations, small businesses, medical practices, educational institutions, major residential and commercial landlords and owner-operators, elected officials, and professional athletes before state and federal courts, as well as in the American Arbitration Association, including the International Centre for Dispute Resolution.
Before joining Womble Bond Dickinson, Mike served as a joint-office judicial extern for the Honorable Louis A. Bledsoe, III and the Honorable Michael Robinson of the North Carolina Business Court. In this role he drafted opinions relating to tortious interference with contract, civil conspiracy, and misappropriation of trade secrets; researched and drafted memos and orders contributing to final judgments; and assisted with drafting preliminary injunction orders.
Prior to law school, Mike played in the National Football League. He remains active in league affairs and currently serves on the board of directors for the Charlotte chapter of the NFLPA’s retired players division.
- College Athlete Employee Status Would Raise Novel Issues, Law360 Employment Authority (October 1, 2021)
- Student-Athletes As Employees: Northwestern, Columbia and Unionization, North Carolina Bar Association (2017)
- Amateurism and the Modern College Athlete, 7 Elon L. Rev. 607 (2015)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (BL Rankings), Entertainment & Sports Law, 2023
- Recognized in Business North Carolina magazine's Legal Elite, Business Law, 2023