Matthew focuses his practice on the trial and appeal of complex cases. His experience covers a wide array of subject matter, including large-scale commercial contracts, intellectual property, construction disputes, antitrust litigation and constitutional law. This experience helps Matthew find strategic solutions to his clients’ most difficult problems and present their cases in a manner that is clear and compelling.
Matthew has argued cases concerning matters of first impression before the North Carolina Supreme Court and North Carolina Court of Appeals, and he has tried cases to verdict in both federal and state courts. He also regularly represents clients in noncompetition, trade secret and other employment matters, and keeps an active practice enforcing clients' rights in their trademarks, copyrights and other intellectual property.
Prior to practicing law, Matthew worked in government affairs for the Tennessee Valley Authority, the nation’s largest public utility, serving as a liaison to Congress and the executive branch regarding matters of budget oversight, energy regulation and Senate confirmation of presidential nominees to the authority’s board of directors.
- Author, Protecting Trade Secrets Against Increasing Threats, Both Home and Abroad, May 2013
- Author and Presenter, Social Media and Your Employees, November 2011 and February 2012
- Author, Talent Agency Licensure Laws – Traps for Unwary, North Carolina Bar Association, Sports & Entertainment Law Section, June 2011
- Presenter, Sports, Trademarks, and Rights of Publicity, North Carolina Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Annual Conference, March 2012
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, Class of 2015
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Children’s Scholarship Fund Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2016-Present
- North Carolina Alliance for Public Charter Schools, Board of Directors, 2014-Present
- Charlotte Secondary School, Board of Directors, 2010-2015; Chairman, 2014-2015; Vice Chairman, 2013-2014
- Eagle Scout Award, 2001
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defended national pipe manufacturer in multi-district antitrust class action seeking more than $150 million for alleged price fixing, resulting in favorable settlement of all claims.
- Obtained favorable decisions for members of world-recognized racing family from Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and Federal Circuit in dispute over family members’ use of last name for product sponsorships.
- Successfully represented over 30 charter schools in cases concerning per-pupil funding allocations, including serving as lead trial counsel and arguing numerous appeals before the NC Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Secured jury verdict for municipal employer in sex discrimination case brought by a transgender former employee under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Represented developer of 250-unit apartment project in Richmond, Virginia in construction arbitration, resolving lien claims by more than 20 subcontractors in order to free development for sale and prosecuting multi-million dollar claims against general contractor, resulting in recovery of all amounts owed.