Katie is a managing associate in our Information Technology and Data team and predominantly works with Telcos, household name retailers and IT companies. Katie acts for both customers and suppliers and her work includes:
- Technology disputes – exiting IT projects, renegotiation of distressed IT projects, software licencing disputes, disputes relating to IT and outsourcing, telecoms and digital media
- Artificial intelligence – including advising clients on the implementation of AI and privacy implications of AI
- Cyber security – representing clients during investigations, audits and other interactions with the Information Commissioner's Office
- Corporate disputes – including claims relating to the sale and purchase of technology businesses.
Much of her work is in the technology and retail sectors and is focussed on assisting clients with complex disputes and data breaches involving technology. Katie is on the IT Disputes committee of the Society for Computers and Law and is due to complete the Oxford Artificial Intelligence Programme this year.
Examples of experience includes:
- Advising a US based tech company on responding to a data security incident involving the hacking of its customer data bases, including advising in relation to claims from individuals and advising in relation to ongoing regulatory investigation from UK and US regulators
- Advising a national organisation in relation to a potential cybersecurity incident involving the hacking of its CRM system, including liaising with the ICO. The ICO concluded its investigation and determined that no regulatory action was required against my client
- Advising a telecoms provider in relation to a potential risk of a group litigation, including providing strategic advice on managing this risk
- Advising a global energy provider in relation to a business critical IT dispute, including successfully renegotiating the future scope of work and achieving a settlement of historic issues
- Advising an international tech company in defence in relation to a claim threatened for breach of contract arising from a security incident
- Advising a UK based eCommerce Software and Digital Marketing Agency in relation to the early termination of an IT contract
- Defending a class action pursued by 500+ claimants against a national organisation concerning allegations that its point-of-sale and accounting IT systems suffered from defects.
- Advising a FTSE 100 company in relation to pursuing injunctive proceedings.
A recommended lawyer.