A Corporate and Securities Transactions partner and member of the firm’s Public Company Advisers Team, John Gambaccini has more than 15 years of experience advising middle-market public and private companies, investors and individuals in connection with mergers and acquisitions, capital and equity financings, securities regulation, joint ventures, corporate governance, and general corporate matters. His experience with clients crosses a variety of industries, including technology, health care, finance, government services, and industrial manufacturing.
John has a particular niche in assisting private equity funds and related financial sponsor groups in domestic and international middle-market transactions. He also represents private equity portfolio companies through their life cycle, from acquisition through add-on acquisitions, growth and exit.
A native Ohioan, John now practices law from the firm’s northern Virginia office, where he is also active in the Association for Corporate Growth - National Capital Chapter (ACG) and the Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors(AMAA) - DC/MD/VA chapter.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author, Inside the Minds: Implementing a Successful Management Buyout (MBO), Aspatore Books, January 2006.
- Co-author, The Long Arm of Sarbanes-Oxley and Other Recent Corporate Governance Reforms: Don’t Let Them be a Roadblock for Your Private Company, The Journal of Private Equity, Summer 2004.
- Co-author, The Private Equity Paradox: When Is Too Much Control a Bad Thing?, The Journal of Private Equity, Summer 2003.
- The Disclosure Dilemma: Preserving the Seller’s Attorney-Client Privilege When Disclosing Confidential Information to a Potential Buyer, James M. Hill and John S. Gambaccini, April 20, 2004
Civic and Professional Activities
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Cleveland Chapter, 2006-2012
- Member, Turnaround Management Association, Cleveland Chapter, 2006-2012
- Board Member, America SCORES Cleveland, 2008-2012; Board Chair 2010-2012
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law, 2013 – Present
- Received the Best Lawyers™ 2019 Mergers and Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year" award in Northern Virginia.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represents a private technology company in the IT infrastructure monitoring sector, including in connection with several venture capital financing transactions, several acquisitions of software companies, institutional debt financings, and corporate governance matters.
- Advised board and management of Nasdaq-listed healthcare information technology company in connection with several acquisitions of software services companies, institutional debt and equity financings, and corporate governance matters.
- Represented a private technology company in the IT services sector in connection with a sale to a multinational strategic acquirer.
- Represented a private company in the building supplies sector in connection with a sale to a private equity portfolio company conducting a rollup in the sector.
- Represents a German-based technology company in United States corporate matters, including in connection with an equity investment and subsequent acquisition transaction for an early-stage technology company based in the United States.
- Represents a healthcare information technology company regarding a variety of corporate matters, including in connection with entity formation, angel and venture capital financing, and creation of joint venture with strategic industry partner.