Jen is National Team Leader for our property litigation practice and lead partner in Newcastle and Leeds where the team is recognised as a top-tier practice by both Legal 500 and Chamber’s Guide. The team is “held in high esteem for representing a range of diverse commercial and residential clients including property developers, social housing providers, landed estates, and clients in the retail finance sector” with “notable expertise in contentious title issues, and disputes concerning service charges and agricultural matters” (Chamber’s 2015).
Jen’s work covers all aspects of property-related litigation and contentious property matters including rent reviews, lease renewals, dilapidations, breaches of covenant, restrictive covenants and easements. She acts for a diverse range of clients, including property developers, housing associations and local authorities, landed estates, property investors, banks and retailers.
She also has a particular expertise in relation to disputes concerning long leaseholds. She heads up our highly commended Leasehold Disputes Team where “in depth and reliable advice is always available” from a team which “understand the business and what we want” and is “hassle free and really easy to deal with” (client feedback).
Jen is a member of the Property Litigation Association. She is a regular speaker at seminars and training events.
- A major house builder with regard to the effectiveness of insurance obtained by proposed vendors of land in respect of restrictive covenants resulting in major amendments to the policy of insurance to protect the client’s position before proceeding to purchase the land
- A registered provider of social housing in respect of forfeiture proceedings commenced in respect of a long leasehold interest following demolition of disused housing for development purposes. The litigation was settled on favourable terms for our clients on the basis that they purchased the freehold interest at a price well below market value
- Tenants, handling claim for misrepresentation arising from landlord’s undisclosed plans for a proposed high profile development in central London. The claim involved difficult legal issues concerning damages flowing from a misrepresentation which would in the future but had not yet impacted the profits of the business. Following a mediation the matter was settled on advantageous terms three weeks before trial
- Numerous clients in relation to tenant’s default issues including in relation to non-payment of rent or service charges, breaches of covenant, insolvency situations and dilapidations including claims for damages and forfeiture proceedings
- In respect of issues arising in transactional work, providing regular, pragmatic property litigation advice to clarify the extent and likely impact of any problem and to recommend a strategy for the simplest and most effective means of tackling and/or working around the problem so as to deliver the client’s project with the minimum of additional complication and expense.
"[Jen] heads the firm's national property litigation team .... her diverse practice encompasses dilapidations claims, service charge issues, agricultural tenancy disputes and mineral rights, among other matters."
"Very knowledgeable, dedicated, hard working and fun team to work alongside"
"They are a force to be reckoned with."