Jim Scheller concentrates his practice on patents, copyrights and other intellectual property in connection with electronic, computer, and Internet related technologies as well as medical device technologies. Jim’s work includes patent prosecution, IP counseling, opinion preparation, due diligence, review and evaluation of patent portfolios, freedom to operate studies, IP licenses and litigation support. Jim has been admitted to the California bar since 1983.
Jim was, during the early part of his career, directly and actively involved in all aspects of patent litigation, including appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and hence Jim is familiar with how patents are treated in litigation and how they should be written in view of litigation. He also has experience with IPOs for his smaller clients and has considerable experience in the software copyright field, having been involved in several well-known software copyright cases. He also regularly taught classes in aspects of patent law at Santa Clara University’s Law School.
Jim has done work for many clients who depend on their patent portfolios. One such very satisfied client of Jim’s work has said: “Our patent portfolio was everything to us, and it was critical, to the success of our business, that we had all patents nailed down in crystal clear language so venture capitalists could understand their value.” That client was later purchased in a very large acquisition.
Honors and Awards
- Named to 2020 IAM Patent 1000, Prosecution, Intellectual Asset Management Magazine
- Named to Managing Intellectual Property’s list of IP Stars, 2020
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Patent #: 5,774,670
- Persistent Client State In A Hypertext Transfer Protocol Based Client-Server System
- Patent #: 5,945,944
- Method And Apparatus For Determining Time For GPS Receivers
- Patent #: 6,694,435
- Method Of Obfuscating Computer Instruction Streams
- Patent #: 6,829,648
- Method And Apparatus For Preparing Media Data For Transmission
- Patent #: PCT WO 2008 085434
- Voicemail Systems And Methods