Jimmy has more than 35 years of experience representing employers exclusively in labor and employment matters. He serves as the primary labor and employment counsel for regional, national and multi-national corporations in connection with employment discrimination lawsuits, wage and hour issues, compliance with the affirmative action obligations of federal contractors and labor union issues.
Clients rely on his vast experience to represent them and provide sound advice in administrative investigations conducted by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Jimmy also represents union and non-union employers with respect to issues arising under the National Labor Relations Act. He frequently represents employers in labor arbitration proceedings arising under collective bargaining agreements.
Clients routinely use Jimmy to provide practical solutions for complex and recurring employment issues in order to avoid unnecessary litigation and to develop best practices for their employment policies and procedures.
Civic and Professional Activities
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Greensboro Bar Association
- Leadership Greensboro, 1997
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, 2003 – Present
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Labor Law – Management "Lawyer of the Year" award in Greensboro, North Carolina, 2016, 2021
- Super Lawyers Honoree, Employment and Labor, North Carolina Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2006 – 2013, 2018 – 2020
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory 1995
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Jimmy routinely defends employment discrimination lawsuits involving claims of race, sex, age and disability discrimination by individuals and in class-based allegations of discrimination by federal enforcement agencies.
- He has been lead counsel in lawsuits representing employers in federal and state courts in more than 20 states located throughout the United States. He has won jury and non-jury verdicts in race, sex and age discrimination lawsuits in multiple jurisdictions, and has been successful in obtaining summary judgment rulings in many lawsuits.
- He is one of a handful of labor and employment attorneys who have defeated a 10(j) preliminary injunction proceeding brought by the NLRB, defeated an EEOC lawsuit to enforce a corporate-wide administrative subpoena, defeated the OFCCP in a class action lawsuit and overturned commercial and labor arbitration awards.
- Jimmy has represented employers in more than 200 labor arbitration and commercial arbitration cases through the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service and the American Arbitration Association. Most arbitration decisions are not published or reported.