In litigation, experience, creativity and tenacity matter. Jamie is a trial-tested litigator, who represents clients from a variety of industries including insurance, finance, retail, manufacturing and technology. He understands that success looks different in every case and, for that reason, takes a strategic approach to litigation that emphasizes clients’ objectives in light of the legal issues they face.
Jamie has successfully tried cases to juries in state and federal courts in North Carolina and Virginia. He has argued before the Court of Appeals of North Carolina and United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He has prevailed on and against numerous dispositive motions. And, he has helped clients navigate the settlement of dozens of cases.
Beyond traditional commercial litigation, Jamie, who is blind, uses his decades of experience with adaptive technology to advise clients grappling with the rapidly evolving area of website accessibility. His clients include retailers facing individual and class action lawsuits under the Americans with Disabilities Act, colleges and universities under investigation by the Office of Civil Rights, and businesses taking a proactive approach to compliance.
In 2008, Jamie won a silver medal in rowing in the Paralympic Games, and his clients benefit from the same drive and dedication that led him to Olympic success.
The Case for a Unified Approach to Corporate and LLC Citizenship, The Middle Ground, a publication of the Federal Bar Association—Middle District of North Carolina Chapter, May 2016.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research International
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- United States Rowing Team Member and Silver Medalist at 2008 Paralympic Games in Beijing, China
- Deacon, Salem Presbyterian Church
- Volunteer with Forsyth County Jail & Prison Ministry
Honors and Awards
Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2016 - 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Trial counsel for employer in fraud and embezzlement suit in which the jury awarded all requested compensatory damages and maximum allowable punitive damages against a dishonest former employee.
- Counselor to major national retailers, hospitality providers and manufacturers concerning website accessibility, including responding to pre-litigation demands and lawsuits alleging noncompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Trial counsel for investor in successful action to collect commercial loan in which jury rejected borrower’s claim that balance of debt was reduced by original lender and required full payment of the amount asserted by investor.
- Defends the second largest property and casualty insurance company in the United States in cases involving bad faith claims handling, coverage, and allegations of unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Trial counsel for insurer in action to collect unpaid premiums in which the jury found the defendant cab company misclassified its drivers as independent contractors rather than employees and returned a verdict for the insurer.