Ian is in our construction team specialising in transactional matters. He has a wide range of experience including real estate development, site remediation, social housing, energy and infrastructure but his primary focus is on education, health and local government regeneration projects.
He has considerable experience of major capital projects such as PFI/PPP, DBOM and Building Schools for the Future/Priority Schools Building Programme.
Ian acts for both public and private sector clients consisting of local authorities, further education colleges, developers, contractors, funders, joint ventures, SPV consortia, registered providers and NHS Trusts.
Ian has a detailed knowledge of the construction industry and his work includes:- procurement advice, drafting and negotiating building, framework agreements, partnering agreements, development agreements, interface agreements and security documents such as bonds and guarantees.
Examples of experience include advising:
- The Education & Skills Funding Agency on the Priority Schools Building Programme (Capital Works), the National Contractor Frameworks, Regional Framework, Modular Framework and Free Schools Programme
- the Bristol LEP on the provision of over 40 schools and educational facilities in Bristol
- Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, East Lancashire NHS Trust, Langbaurgh Primary Care Trust (now Redcar and Cleveland PCT) and Mid-Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust on their respective procurements of new hospitals and health facilities
- Science Central/Newcastle City Council on the enabling works required in advance of the development of the flagship Science City development in Newcastle upon Tyne and the subsequent procurement of the first Laboratory Building
- Westminster City Council in the £65million refurbishment of the City Hall
- Northern Powergrid in the preparation of frameworks to address operational maintenance and repairs, RTU replacement and enhancement and flood defence works
- Grainger plc on numerous PRS and Build to Rent schemes across the UK
- Innovia Cellophane Limited in relation to the North East Bridgwater regeneration and remediation of a former industrial site (and adjacent land) for uses including the construction of 2,000 new homes, storage and distribution and retail uses, school, spine road and associated public spaces.
- acting for a total of eight local authorities on the procurement and delivery of their Building Schools for the Future programmes. Also acted for a number of SPV consortia in both bidding for BSF projects and continuing advice to those that were appointed