In a sector where converging technologies often blur traditional regulatory classifications, Womble Bond Dickinson’s Howard Shapiro has more than 35 years of experience protecting the interest of clients operating in the dynamic telecommunications space.
Howard’s regulatory and transactional clients include cable television companies, multichannel video programming providers and local franchising authorities. His work on their behalf includes:
- Obtaining and cable television franchises for large and small cable television companies,
- Advocating for regulatory changes,
- Ensuring regulatory compliance, and
- Facilitating the acquisition, sale and financing of telecommunications properties
In addition, he advises both wireline and wireless rural telecommunications companies on a host of regulatory, transactional and competitive issues. Howard spectrum auctions involving 600 MHz, 700 MHz and AWS, as well as in secondary markets through license partitioning and spectrum leasing.
Howard also helps telecom clients properly structure international investment and negotiate the vetting process required to obtain FCC and Executive Branch approval for foreign ownership. He regularly works with these companies on the variety of regulatory questions that invariably arise as legacy telecommunications services are transitioning to broadband platforms.
Howard has written and lectured on issues involving video programming delivery over digital subscriber line (DSL) and acquisition of video content.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Assisted a leading manufacturer of professional audio equipment in obtaining an experimental license from the FCC that assisted in the development and commercial deployment of a new and groundbreaking wireless microphone product that has received awards for innovation and expanding the state-of-the art in that industry.