Fintan is a Managing Associate in our Restructuring and Insolvency Team.
Fintan's practice is primarily contentious, focusing on disputes that arise out of distressed and insolvent situations. He acts for insolvency practitioners, companies, directors and shareholders, banks, financial institutions, insurers and insureds, government agencies and individuals across a broad range of sectors including construction, education, energy, real estate and retail.
Fintan has particular expertise in using insolvency procedures and litigation to achieve a recovery for organisations and individuals who have suffered financial loss, often as a result of fraud or other misconduct. He has significant experience of cases involving failed investment or tax avoidance schemes.
Whilst based in our London office, Fintan commonly works nationally with other specialists from across our offices in the UK and US as part of multi-disciplinary teams.
Prior to qualification, Fintan worked as an examiner in the Official Receiver’s office, investigating the affairs of companies in liquidation.
Examples of experience include:
- Obtaining the appointment of a provisional liquidator over a company involved in a multi-£ wine fraud and then acting for the liquidator of the company following its winding-up to obtain a worldwide freezing injunction against the director in order to preserve his assets and satisfy the claims against him, including for fraudulent and wrongful trading
- Acting for liquidators of companies involved in the construction industry, bringing claims against their directors and third parties relating to the non-payment of Construction Industry Scheme tax, including for illegal dividends, transactions at an undervalue and preferences.
- Defending a company director against a claim brought by one of its shareholders following the pre-pack administration of the company.
- Acting for the administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) on a number of claims against the insolvent estate, relating to complex financial products (including financing transactions and derivative products).
- Winding-up companies on grounds of public interest on behalf of the Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, including companies involved in investments scams in relation to the sale of land, carbon credits and diamonds.