Emma specialises in contract and procurement law in the context of public sector projects. She has particular experience in the education sector (universities, colleges and schools), and regularly advises on health sector, rail, leisure and energy projects.
She provides procedural and strategic advice on EU-regulated and below-threshold procurement exercises, including drafting procurement documents and negotiating related contracts. She has undertaken a number of detailed procurement audits for projects subject to European Union (ERDF) grant funding.
Emma also provides specialist advice on complex requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and under data protection legislation. She has particular expertise in interpreting the statutory powers and obligations of public bodies in relation to information disclosures.
Emma trained and qualified at Womble Bond Dickinson. In her time at the firm she has undertaken secondments: one to a major retail bank and another to a large local authority where she gained invaluable in-house experience, advising on large scale projects involving EU grant funding and drafting a wide variety of commercial contracts. She has written practice notes and articles published in Westlaw Insight and in the Freedom of Information Journal, and co-presented workshops at the Annual Freedom of Information Conference.
- Durham University on the procurement of a contractor to design, build, operate and maintain new college accommodation and related facilities, including advising on the procurement documents and process (competitive dialogue) from start to finish and drafting and negotiating the University's contracts.
- a Train Operating Company on its procurement of new rolling stock vehicles and associated financing to support its bid for a major rail franchise, including strategic advice and drafting all key procurement documents.
- The Department of Communities and Local Government conducting independent procurement audits in relation to projects procured by recipients of ERDF grant funding.
- NHS Digital on its complex information governance arrangements, in particular advising on its statutory powers to collect, analyse and share data, and statutory Directions and requests made under the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- A large number of organisations including Post Office Limited, schools (maintained, academies and independent), colleges and registered providers on complex requests for information under data protection, FOI and environmental legislation, including the application of statutory exemptions and appeals to the Information Commissioner's Office and First Tier Information Rights Tribunal.
- A private sector vehicle rental company on its conduct of a procurement for high value specialist vehicles, and drafting template procurement documents for future use.