David advises employers, consultants, contractors and insurers on all aspects of construction and engineering projects. His work involves both transactional and disputes work.
He has significant experience in drafting and advising on industry standard and bespoke forms of construction and engineering contracts as well as other project documentation including appointments, warranties and associated security documents. He is working with some of the firm's major public and private sector clients on a number of local and national projects involving a mix of private and public sector funding. David also has expertise in relation to dispute avoidance and resolution and he has represented employers, contractors, sub-contractors and professional indemnity insurers in the courts, arbitrations and ADR. He has particular experience in conducting adjudications and regularly gives seminars and client workshops on the topic.
He is a qualified adjudicator and a member of the panel of adjudicators for the Chartered Institute of Building and the Construction Industry Council. He also sits as a Deputy District Judge on the Western Circuit. He is a member of the Society of Construction Law.
- Advising New Look Retailers Limited on the project documents for the initial construction and subsequent expansion phases of its national distribution warehouse at Lymedale
- Advising on the construction aspects of a number of major head office relocation projects involving some of the firm's national clients, including Carnival UK and QVC
- Acting for a number of professional indemnity insurers of architects, engineers and design and build contractors in significant disputes, including for the successful defendant engineers in the recent trial in the Technology and Construction Court in the widely reported case of Goldswain and Another v Beltec Limited (t/a BCS Consulting) and Another  EWHC 556(TCC)
- Advising on the asset protection aspects of a number of high profile developments in London
- Acting for a number of contractors in a series of adjudications arising out of the design and commissioning of wind farms, a number of high end residential developments and the design and construction aspects of several educational establishments.
"Has a first-rate reputation in the market. He has both contractual expertise and dispute resolution skills”.
“His general overall knowledge of construction law is very broad and he gives a very unbiased view. He is also very clear".
The "highly experienced and skilled" David Skelton advises on both transactional and contentious matters. Clients value his "strong technical knowledge and well-judged, well-balanced advice."