David Broughton serves as trusted advisor to companies and individuals in a variety of corporate matters. Mr. Broughton has significant experience assisting private, public and nonprofit companies in various industries with:
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Corporate finance transactions;
- Other commercial transactions; and
- Corporate and board governance matters.
In addition, Mr. Broughton is a leader of Womble Bond Dickinson’s multidisciplinary approach to serving continuing care retirement community (CCRC) and other senior living providers by providing a broad range of legal services. Mr. Broughton serves as the North Carolina representative to the Legal Committee of Leading Age, a national association of nonprofit senior living providers.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Broughton worked as an investment banker for a boutique investment banking firm that focused on mergers and acquisitions and capital raises for healthcare companies.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Closed numerous sales, divestitures, acquisitions and mergers in a variety of industries, including furniture, textiles, telecommunications, food products, home health/durable medical equipment, medical provider practices, battery manufacturing, steel product manufacturing, printing and others.
- Serve as corporate counsel to multiple CCRCs in assisting with corporate and board structure and governance, regulatory compliance, resident matters, contracts, tax-exempt and taxable financings and other matters.
- Represent a nonprofit corporation that is the largest employer of people who are blind or visually impaired in the United States in a variety of strategic, general corporate and transactional matters.
- Represent one of the world’s largest manufacturers of food service equipment in corporate structure and governance matters, commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions and other matters.
- Represented a leading provider of home health services and durable medical equipment in multiple acquisitions and its sale.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Bar Associations: American Bar Association (Business Law Section); and North Carolina Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Current Vice Chair and Past Council Member and Past Secretary, North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Section
- Past Co-Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Business Section’s Annual Meeting and Business Institute Planning Committee
- Member of the LeadingAge Legal Committee
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Past Member, Board of Visitors, and co-chaired National Student Recruitment Committee. Served on other committees in support of UNC-CH
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts Foundation: Vice Chair and Member of Board of Directors; Member of Executive Committee and Chair of Development Committee
- Wake Forest University Family Business Center (now the Center For Private Business): Past Member, Board of Advisors; served as Womble Bond Dickinson's liaison to the Family Business Center
- St. Paul’s Episcopal Church: Past Co-Chair, reNEWal Capital Campaign; Past Co-Chair, 2015 Annual Stewardship Campaign; Past Chair, Long-Range Vision Committee; Past Senior Warden, Junior Warden and Vestry Member; Recipient of St. Paul’s Cross award, given for outstanding leadership to the church; chaired or co-chaired numerous church committees; Usher; Lector; and former Sunday School Teacher
- Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina: Chair, The Fair Share Appeals Board and Past Member, Bishop Suffragan Transition Committee
- The Rotary Club of Winston-Salem: Member
- Woodberry Forest School: Member, Triad Region Alumni Board; Amici Fund Class Representative
- Summit School: Past Co-Chair, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 Parents’ Annual Fund Campaign
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2019 – Present