Dan has 20 years of experience in intellectual property law and is able to offer the right strategic counseling to his domestic and international clients seeking to protect and defend their intellectual property through:
- Patent and trademark prosecution
- Software copyrights
- Pretrial services related to patent infringement litigation
- Patent non-infringement and invalidity opinions
- Due diligence reviews to accompany mergers and acquisitions, and
- IP portfolio evaluations.
Dan’s practice encompasses the entire patent life cycle, including mining and identifying patentable inventions and advising patent committees, conducting training seminars in IP matters, and prosecuting patent applications with the USPTO. Dan also helps companies establish patent committees and perform IP landscaping, and regularly guides startups looking to develop IP portfolios for IPOs and other exit strategies.
Dan’s training as an engineer, together with his broad-based technology experience, gives him an invaluable technical perspective on the complex issues confronting his corporate clients. He has considerable experience involving the design and fabrication of integrated circuit devices, such as processors, ASICs, programmable controllers, memories, image sensors, and capacitance sensors. Clients benefit from Dan’s knowledge and understanding of power management devices, disk drives, medical devices and systems, fiber optics, multicarrier communication systems, solar power, software, and networking.
Dan is an Adjunct Professor at Santa Clara University School of Law where he teaches Legal Issues of a Startup and Entrepreneur’s Law. Dan is the author of numerous articles on IP issues ranging from effective patent prosecution strategies in order to obtain patents quicker and with less expense, to collaborate partnerships with in-house counsel in developing a company’s IP portfolio and strategy.
Dan serves on the advisory committee of the California Lawyers for the Arts, for the California Inventors Assistance Program, and is involved in initiatives to help provide IP pro bono services to financially underresourced independent inventors and small businesses.
- Growing Your IP? Consider a Secondment, Corporate Counsel, December 7, 2022, Dan Ovanezian, Blake Holt, Azie Aziz, John Whetzel
- USPTO’s Pilot Program May Streamline Patent Analysis, ACC Docket, November 7, 2022, Dan Ovanezian, John Whetzel, Jon Wolfsberger
- The USPTO Trials a Possible Solution to 101 Patenting Concerns, IAM, February 9, 2022, Dan Ovanezian, John Whetzel, Jon Wolfsberger
- How IP Licensing Can Cost Small Entity Status, ACC Docket, September 7, 2021, David Mason, Dan Ovanezian, Cory Schug
- A New Era in Patent Prosecution, IAM, April 9, 2019, Bill Jacobs, Daniel Ovanezian, Joe Kucera
- Keeping Trade Secrets Out of Patents, Corporate Counsel, October 20, 2017, Daniel Ovanezian, Christopher Jordan
- Results Of USPTO Post-Prosecution Pilot Look Promising, Law360, March 1, 2017, Daniel Ovanezian, Sam Noel
- USPTO P3 Pilot — A Positive Step That Requires Refinement, Law360, November 7, 2016, Daniel Ovanezian, Divyata Griggs
- Getting Patents Quicker Without Breaking the Bank, Corporate Counsel, September 21, 2016, Daniel Ovanezian, Michael Moore
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of California
Honors and Awards
- Named to 2021 and 2022 IAM Strategy 300: The World’s Leading IP Strategists, Intellectual Asset Management Magazine
- Named to 2020 IAM Patent 1000, Prosecution, Intellectual Asset Management Magazine
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Helped build patent portfolio of industry leading software company from about a dozen patents to hundreds of patents.
- Guided several startups on development of their IP from before the company went public through its initial public offering and thereafter.
- Devised and executed strategies to enable quick issuance of patent applications for small and large companies while minimizing costs.
- Performed competitor landscape analysis in order to target the filing of patent applications in various technology areas.
- Assisted Fortune 100 companies in developing and maintaining its IP portfolio both domestically and internationally.