Colin began his career in tax and by 1987 he was a tax manager with EY. At that point he changed career by joining a national firm of Independent Financial Advisers (IFA) before re-joining EY and managing their regulated IFA team in Newcastle. On the sale of the EY IFA practice Colin joined the firm in 2005.
Colin holds the Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Financial Planning. He is a member of The Personal Finance Society and the Chartered Insurance Institute.
In a fairly lengthy career Colin has undertaken a wide variety of assignments including:
- Formulation of redundancy/retirement counselling programme for major public body consisting in design and delivery of nationwide seminars covering tax, investment and pension issues. Developing strategies for client asset allocation, fund manager selection and monitoring along with potential use of tax efficient vehicles such as “private funds”
- High and sophisticated Inheritance Tax mitigation
- Establishment and management of multi asset class portfolios for private clients, trusts and pension funds including SIPPs
- Advice on accumulation and “decumulation” of pension arrangements in the light of recent legislation.
Colin’s grounding in tax is invaluable as an investment and pensions adviser.
- Portfolio Construction – Having experienced volatile stock markets over many years Colin is well versed at formulating multi-asset class portfolios designed to meet clients’ needs. Colin is part of our internal management team which formulates our thoughts on strategic asset allocation and collective fund choices
- Inheritance Tax Planning – With a tax background Colin has many years’ experience in dealing with sometimes complex tax mitigation arrangements including the use of various types of trusts and specialist tax favoured arrangements
- Retirement Planning – Since the inception of Income Drawdown in 1985 Colin has been involved in the management of SIPP portfolios designed to balance client income requirements with investment into varied asset classes to optimise long term returns whilst retaining appropriate levels of liquidity
- Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) – Over recent years Colin has also been involved in advising Deputies on investment issues in relation to those under care of the OPG. This includes cash management, portfolio management and commenting and guidance on existing portfolios and arrangements.
“Colin Smith is excellent, no issues at all.”
“As a couple we have dealt with Colin Smith since coming to the firm and in those several years the service has been excellent.”
“I have followed my adviser for nigh on 20 years and will continue to do so.”